Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to figure out why my quad won't start. It won't even pop. I replaced the plug and verified it's getting spark. Cleaned the carb and jets. Ensured the fuel filter ok and gas getting to the carb. Put hand over carb and plug hole to ensure compression. I get nothing. Sprayed starter fluid in carb and in plug hole. Nothing. Not even a pop.

Only thing I can think of is the timing is off.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang!!!! 30 pounds compression. Polaris shop is quoting me $470 to replace rings, rebore, and fix/replace piston. Basic, top end overhaul. Suggestions? I saw a post about rebuilds. I'm handy but not looking to spend more than 15-20 hours of my time on this.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined you can rebuild this yourself. I can bore your cylinder for 60.00 and I have a top end kit in stock and they include piston kit, top end gasket kit and top end bearing. They are 170.00 to 180.00 depending on how far it needs to be bored out. You will need a piston so you can match it to the cylinder to get the right clearance. If this is not done it can cause failures. If you have any questions you can call 651-340-1129. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with Wolf Bros Motorsports (on other post at this site) and they want $1295 for a complete remanufactured engine with 6 months warranty. This is a big difference from the $470 the dealer wants to rebuild it. Is there any reason I would go the remanufactured route vs. rebuild with dealer? They did give me good advice that the there's a known problem with the oil pump drive gears going bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts