Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this ATV. It runs great, but I'm having a Trans problem. When I first drained the gear box it looked like half water half oil and it was blackish grey with a few clumps in it. I cleaned it all out and added 80-90. The gearcase was a little loose so I tightened up all the bolts I could get to. When the bike is running I put it in FWD and its like it is bogged down it only moves inches, if that. It feels like its not in gear. When I hold the shifter forward it makes a nasty grinding noise. It does the same thing in Low. Reverse seems to work just fine.

I have put a new shifter on it, and a brand new drive belt. I have greased everything I could find.

One thing I did notice is that the lights on the dash do not work. I didn't know if something electrical with the switch on the gear selector or on the 4x4 on demand would cause the problem I am having.

If anyone knows of something I can try please let know. If you think I need a new Trans (hopefully not) please tell me.

Thank for any Advice
Tim

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had similar problems on my 2001 sportsman 500 I had to adjust the gear linkages.
but before adjusting them I took the gear linkages off the shifter and manually put it in gear with the gear linkages.
the gears worked fine. So just an adjustment was needed. no more grinding noise from the gears.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds like shifter is out of adjustment trans might have moved a little bit when you tightened it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts