Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys! Im working on my friends 96 polaris trail boss 250. Now the problem im having is when i have it running and when i put it in gear it shuts off, I tried it in reverse also still the same. Its not idling high or anything. I also tried to hold the brake and it still shut off. What could be wrong with it? This is what i also did. I put it in gear and pulled it over when i pull it over the 4 wheeler moves and when i get it running i can drive it but once i start slowing down the engine die. If anyone can please help me out that will be great thanks guys!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
bad rev limiter, hold the override button in and try it
the rev limiter has nothing to do with his problem. the bike is stalling in gear but not in neutral. clutch issues.
dont be so sure, its not a contest, im just offering another possibility based on my experience with these bikes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok guys i looked at the clutch and it was good. I still didnt figure out the problem. But im also working on a 96 polaris xplorer 300 4x4. Thats doing the same thing. When i have it idling and right when i put it in gear it takes off or if you hold the brake it will stall. I also looked at that clutch there was nothing wrong with it. I tried to hold the override button and it doesnt make a difference. The lights or anything doesnt work on it. I just bought a new battery for it and still doesnt work. Does anyone have any idea whats going on with this??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i hold the break and give it a little gas when its in gear it will stay running but if i let go of the brake it will take off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
id have to start lookin at the carb youll have to make sure that it is idling thru the idle circuit and not just with the idle speed screw turned in to far, put the air screw at 1 1/4 turns out. you might have to take the carb apart and make sure the pilot jet isnt plugged, i like to get a tiny wire thru it, hope this made sense

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok i took the clutch off cleaned it i looked at it Everything was good there. The motor mounts are good. clutch is aligned. How do i tell if its idling circuit? And i was talking to someone Today and they were saying something about the throttle sensor or whatever. Would that have anything to do with it?? I dont even know what that is.. If so how do i check to see if its bad?

·
Registered
90 Posts
when you held in the override button you by passed all that, that is part of the rev limiter system, you could try unhooking the wires that come from the throttle lever, can you take the carb to somebody that has experience with them?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok i got a question on the carb. Them vent lines would that have to do anything of my problem? If so where do the lines go? Cause theres no vent lines on the carb. Im gunna need to go buy new ones.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i just looked at mine and one goes a barb by the idle speed screw and one goes to a barb on top where the air cleaner hooks up and they probably are not your problem, i wish i could experience your problem first hand, lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I cut the wire for the kill switch inside the throttle control... The spring was weird and causing the kill switch to get hit. It's designed to kill it if your throttle cable breaks... Snip snip...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts