Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a xplorer with about 2300 miles. Had a lot of deep engine work done however the vm34ss carb was worn out. Bad needle and seat, worn float arm, worn floats, missing middle plate, missing pilot air jet, and the threaded plug in the bowl was corroding away. Since the oem carb assembly is no longer available i hopped on dennis kirk in search of a vm34 carb with a close configuration. I found one with the idle speed screw on the rh side and it looked perfect which was the vm34 275. I removed the float bowl on both carb and transferred my needle jet, slide, needle, main, pilot and spring over with no issues, all factory specification parts. Float height was correct out of the box which is to be expected with a genuine mikuni. I did have to redesign the airbox boot to keep the oem airbox. I used a 2.5 to 2.5 ID silicone intake boot from vibrant performance and shortned it to reach the airbox when everything is compressed. The intake side if the carb is larger and requires a large hose clamp to secure the silicone boot to the carb. It was slightly bigger id on the boot than the od of the carb but samwiched perfect, the silicone also had a nice gripping effect. Ive only had one start up and ride on this configuration but it runs like a new machine had no bogging issues or idle issues. Plan on doing some plug checking under load to be sure. This is to hopefully help some that have worn out oem carbs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice fab work (y)
Thank you, the boot is also cheaper than the reducer boot from polaris and is stronger. It does a good job to keep the carb float bowl off of the transmission case with the engine running. This carb hand in hand with the original feels 50% lighter as well. This carb does have a deeper float chamber than original.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Nice job - I prefer to use 5/16 narrow band hose clamps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive got 4 slow rides and 1 wide open pull on this carb and its absolutley fantastic. Very nice transitions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is it running? Any unforseen issues?
None at all, runs like a different machine. Carb reacts very fast to idle changes or idle air screw adjustments, and the choke cable works exactly like it should. No binding or sticking throttle. However i reused the original slide spring because the one that comes with the 275 is very stiff. Been running it for almost 2 months now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m Trying to figure out how you mounted the silicone boot to the air box. Did you push it on to the flange and clamp or did you drill a hole in the airbox and push the silicone boot through. Thank you for being patient with me

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a slip over fit on the airbox side no modification required and no clamp on the airbox side

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hopefully still around but I'm thinking about new carb for 300 xplorer. My ? Is do these have port for oil injection or would I have to block pump

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
Hopefully still around but I'm thinking about new carb for 300 xplorer. My ? Is do these have port for oil injection or would I have to block pump
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 400 did not use a oil line to the carb but was bolted to a banjo bolt on the intake boot. Not 100 percent sure if the 300 was the same method.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 400 did not use a oil line to the carb but was bolted to a banjo bolt on the intake boot. Not 100 percent sure if the 300 was the same method.
Hmm wonder if I could get the other vm34 snowmobile carb to work then. It is tapped for oil line but idle adjust is on opposite side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Worth a look on dennis kirk, thats where i got my carb
Thanks for time mine has oil barb on front of carb. Found a place Hvv cycle 108 for carb, custom jetting for 25 and install oil barb. If anyone else is looking for ideas like this also. Ordering that hose for air box though thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for time mine has oil barb on front of carb. Found a place Hvv cycle 108 for carb, custom jetting for 25 and install oil barb. If anyone else is looking for ideas like this also. Ordering that hose for air box though thanks
Ive found so many uses for turbo hoses. Be careful though i discovered mine had grey silicone hiding cracks in the airbox. Found it right after winter so i doubt i got that many abrasives in the cylinder. Air was bypassing the filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts