Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I'm another another newbie! Bought myself a '96 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 2-stroke and I have no user manual.

What is the right oil/gas fuel mixture for this ATV?

I bought this online via eBay and the transaction went fine, although there was a discrepancy.

Here is what I know for sure:
- 1996 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 (not 1995)
- advertised as a 2-stoke engine, hence my question, what's the right oil/gas fuel mixture
- ATV has a "Gas" cap/tank and an "Oil" cap/tank, with no labels indicating filling with anything other than gas or 10-30W oil. This makes me a bit suspicious; Is it really a 2-stroke?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I mix my 300 explorer 1999 vintage at 13 oz of Polaris synthetic oil to 4 gallons of gas. Not sure about thhe other oil cap as I have none. What size is your Xplorer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1996 polaris xplorer 400 4x4

Like you I am not sure what the Oil cap/tank is for.

I put in 1 qt 10-30W synthetic oil in and 4+ gallons of gasoline.

I read somewhere that some 2-stroke models have an oil pump, or somthing, that mixes the oil & gas automatically... but I am no gear-head for sure :nervous: Is that what the "Oil cap/tank" is for?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oil tank

The oil tank is there because the motor has an oil pump that mixes oil in with the gas automatically. You need to use special 2-stroke oil. There's a fillup procedure, like topping up the oil tank after using a certain amount of gas but I don't know the amounts. I bought my 96 Explorer 400 used but someone had replaced the motor with a 500 4-stroke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks pjmartin, you are the first kind sole to confirm my suspicion that unlike a 2-stroke chain saw where the gas IS mixed with 2-stroke oil, this '96 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 2-stroke takes straight gas and the Oil cap/tank IS for the 2-stroke oil (not, unfortunately for me, the 10-30W oil I put in :nono: )

Okay, any suggestion of how to drain the oil tank (so I can put the right oil in :) ???

Thanks again PJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with pjmartin sounds like the 2 stroke oil tank. Some 2 strokes have that set up. There is a ejector pump that shoots the 2stroke oil in with the regular gas so you don't have to premix.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I had a 400 Explorer 2 stroke and the oil tank is for 2 cycle oil only, it mixes the oil with the gas unless someone has disconnected it.I had my machine for 12 years and the motor was in good running condition when I swapped it for a 500HO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again pjmartin, and thanks to NJBow an Diesel man 03 for confirming this is a 2-stoke oil tank.

Any suggestions of how to drain the incorrect 10-30W oil that I put into the tank (so I can put the right oil in :nervous: )

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would pull the hose and let all the old oil drain and then fill it back up with 2 stroke oil. The line should run next to the gas tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense, benm, thanks. I didn't see the hose but I'll take a more careful look, as that would be an easy way to drain the oil. I think I'll google for a picture.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 94 sportsman 2 stroke the tank up front is where you add the 2 stroke oil it does the mixxing for you. I check the oil tank every time I add fuel but it does not need oil every time you fuel up. I add oil every other fill up and the oil tank is still half full or better. I would pull the oil tank off to dump it so you can flush it with some gas so you know it is clean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
is there a specific line to fill it to? i just got a 94 sportsman and i too have never owned a 2 stoke before... do you just keep the oil to a certain level or is there a ratio of oil you need to add to the tank when adding gas?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
is there a specific line to fill it to? i just got a 94 sportsman and i too have never owned a 2 stoke before... do you just keep the oil to a certain level or is there a ratio of oil you need to add to the tank when adding gas?
Just fill it up to near the top. Also the Polaris 2 stroke engine has crankcase oil in it to lube the counterbalancer in the engine. It has a dipstick that you screw out of the block to check it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1996 polaris Expore 300 4x4. Was running fine, put gas in it and started messing up. Overloading with gas, wouldn't open up. Pulled carb. cleaned it everything looks new. Still wouldn't open up. Rebuilt the top of engine all looks great. Still won't open up. Start it up, may run awesome for 50-75 feet, starts cutting out. (Like it is in reverse and the button isn't pushed. Start it up again and it may run great or rough. Anyone got any ideas. I am at witts end with it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a used Polaris 400 explorer 2 stroke the guy did some work that he shouldn’t have I got it running good I just don’t know what ratio I should use because he took the oil tank that mixed the oil and gas so know I have to mix it straight which is no big deal except I don’t know the ratio to use because 32-1 is to rich for the 4wheeler it’s burning the spark plugs

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
32 to one is too lean - 20 or 24:1 is an acceptable ratio - 32:1 if using a premium oil - 40:1 if you like replacing pistons and crankshafts - mixed with non-ethanol fuel unless you are using an oil that will mix with alcohol - most water soluble oil will mix with alcohol - I don't grasp you description of 'burning the spark plug' - blistering the porcelain? Melting the electrodes?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts