Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 polaris 400 sport 2 stroke that I just got and replaced water pump and oil pump seals and bearing. Drove it for a couple of hours, parked it. Started right up next day easy as pie and rode an hour and it ran strong and then it started loosing power so I shut it down right away. Then, it started super hard and died again. Now it won't start. Not even when i spray starter fluid in carb or cylinder. (I know this is not a great idea but I figured if it fired it would rule out bad gas because it has spark)' I pulled case back off to make sure the stater didn't come loose and effect timing and found oil in the flywheel compartment. I am pretty sure it is the crank seal because I accidentally poked it and slightly dented it with a screw driver. Before removing the case to find the oil, I put a compression tester on it and I am getting about 70lbs with pull rope and 50 with electric start. Would the crank seal possibly be the issue or is it more than likely top end? Obviously I need a new seal, just wanting to know what I am dealing with. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Time for a rebuild. Never going to run on that.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
if the crank seal is bad it will suck air there causing it to run lean and burn itself up (seize). when it was loosing power it was seizing. Time for a teardown and rebuild and replace those crank seals too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts