Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to replace the outer U-joint on my 96 sportsman 500 and figured I would replace the inner as well. I have everything loosened up and was wondering how long the bolt holding the inner to the tranny is? Does the bolt come all the way out without removing the axle shaft from the tranny? or does it go in and come out at the same time? Seems like I have it backed out as far as it will go.

Can I give the outer end a couple of blows with a rubber mallet to break it loose or not?

I don't feel comfortable prying anywhere near the tranny case. Any suggestions are appreciated.. need to get it fixed the snow is piling up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Totally confused. Your talking about axles and being bolted to the transmission. Ales go into a differential, that is driven by a drive shaft from the trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
on the 96 and 97 they had a axle on each side with a slip joint and 2 u joints instead of cv joints. They get stuck in the transmission and are hard to get out sometimes I hooked on to one side of mine with a slide hammer and finally got one out then was able to drive the other axle out through the hole of the axle I managed to get out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion. It is the differential.

How did you rig the slide hammer up?? I think I have come to that point. Do I need to loosen up the bolts on both sides of the Diff to get just one side out? I only need to repair the one axle.

·
11,235 Posts
No, you don't have to loosen the bolts on both sides to just get one out. There is a spacer that goes between them but they are not connected. If you have a slide hammer, get on the yoke to pull out on it some until you get enough clearance for the bolt to come completely free. They can be a pain and you'll probably need an assistant to help hold the axle up level (that's the key)while you work the hammer. A good soaking with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight or more will help. Just keep soaking, let it sit a while and keep hammering and it will come eventually. Before reassembly, clean everything up good and apply antisieze.
Oh yeah, make sure to align the yokes with the other side on reassembly to avoid any vibration.

·
11,235 Posts
Ardakota and Ridinagain, he IS talking about the rear axles and on a 96 they have a bolt that holds the female yoke to a male shaft on each side of the main gear case/transmission/differential which is all one unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Align the yokes? Do you mean making sure the ujoint holes, that one is not vertical and the other side horizontal? or??

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used a air chisel with a wide bit between the yoke and diff housing a few raps and it popped out. I rapped it from 2 o'clock mark and then to the 7 o'clock to move it somewhat even where ever the chisel could reach. gentle raps just a few at a time to nurse it out.

·
11,235 Posts
Align the yokes? Do you mean making sure the ujoint holes, that one is not vertical and the other side horizontal? or??
Yeah, just orient them the same on both sides. It's probably not critical but I always do just to avoid the possibility of any vibration from them not being aligned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, just orient them the same on both sides. It's probably not critical but I always do just to avoid the possibility of any vibration from them not being aligned.
The left bote wend I tune it the right bote. Came out but I like the left one to came out

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts