Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Sportsman 500 that dies when I put in reverse. But, when I push the yellow Override button, everything functions properly so after doing some research, it's likely that my reverse speed limiter is bad.

While reading on this I came across a bunch of posts about how you can override this switch by cutting certain wires. But, I couldn't find much information on pre-2000 models. All of the how-to posts were for '03 and newer. Does anybody have a how-to or can tell me which wires I need to cut, etc on a '96?

According to my repair manual, the colors I have are Purple, Gray/White and Green. I think I read that by doing this, the Reverse light will stay on even in forward. Is that correct on the '96?

I tried to find a replacement part as well but haven't been able to locate one, unless I'm just searching for the wrong thing. Does anybody have a part number?

·
Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
This is your reverse override button
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

All you need to do is disconnect the purple wire before it gets to the switch and short it to the grey/white wire

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did this and the reverse light comes on when you put it in gear. I cut the purple wire under the cowl about half-way between the panel and the switch and spliced it to the gray/white wire.

Is there a way around this or is this something I just have to live with?

·
Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
The reverse light will be on when in AWD whether in forward or reverse as a reminder that the reverse speed limiter is deactivated and the AWD will be engaged when in reverse - turning off the AWD will return the reverse light to normal operation. You asked for a bypass and had read ahead of time that doing so will turn the reverse light on when in AWD and forward. Yeah - it's either fix it with a new part that is NLA or bypass it and this was the simplest bypass. If you want to add another switch and do some more wiring, the reverse light can be turned off except when in reverse.

You might try putting it back and disconnecting the black wire from the LR-83 module, but I'm not sure how that will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts