Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 250 trail boss today , ran fine at sellers house got it home and ran for a few minutes then started bogging at 1/2 throttle , and then sometimes it would start bogging at any throttle stopped put into neutral reved a few minutes and then it would be fine for awhile , it has sat up for awhile according to seller he started about once a month but that was it , i plan to , change fuel filter , change plug , and run fuel treatment thru it , i did put new gas in as well , it also needs a new battery , someone said that these bikes were not meant to run on the distributer and that could also be part of the problem as well , i know the air filter is clean

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
what your friend meant was that they will run ,but are not meant to run without a battery hooked up. you'll end up burning up all the bulbs out for the rectifier has no voltage to sense and no ground circuit to complete.
try cleaning the carburator and jets out......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot running like a champ now , can anyone tell me how reliable these bikes are? how long they last when properly maintained , we always used polaris with our race cars back in the day in 94 had a 400 xplorer traded in 96 for a magnum 425 , stopped racing for awhile , got back in a few yrs ago decided to buy a pit bike for wife and kids hope i made a good choice

·
Registered
32 Posts
You question about how long they will last is a good one, and deeper than most people might think. I have an 04 Scrambler and am very concerned about how long it will last. I'm not trying to buy another ATV for myself any time soon. I keep mine very clean. I armoral the whole thing every chance I get. Don't get me wrong, I run it hard sometimes, but I also bought the dealership service manual for it. When I service it, it is an all day event. I take the time to do it right, like cleaning the magnets on the drain plugs. If something needs replaced it gets done immediately. The thing I noticed about Polaris is they are like Chevy's, they are fun to drive, tough and look cool, but you have to stay after them! Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts