Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i have a quick question a couple months ago i bought a 96 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. This weekend i went up to the mountains with some friends to do some riding. It started off running really well then all of a sudden it just fell on its face and was running will crappy, as if it was really rich. I stopped let it sit for a minute and then it ran great for another hour or so. Then it did it to me again after i let it idle for a couple a minutes. It acts as if the plug is fouled but then all of a sudden it just opens up and takes off running really good. I was reading on here and i saw some people were having issues with the rev limiter and the cdi's on these units? It still has the oil injection system hooked up on it which is on my list to bypass. Would that cause any of these problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm no mechanic but mine had it's good times and not so good until it refused to start. Fuel pump was replaced and now it has lots of zip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i figured these would be gravity fed from the tank to the carb? Do they actually have a fuel pump?
My 95 xplorer 400 is gravity fed. I am assuming your 96 is also as the parts for these 2 years are interchangeable. As far as it falling on its face then running good again later it is probably due to a dirty carb. Junk floating around in the float bowl can and will get sucked up to the bottom of the main jet and block fuel flow. Ask me how I know. Try cleaning the carb and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts