Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to all this forum stuff don't know what I'm doing sorry. Just purchased a 97 400 sport 2-stroke 2x4 runs great no electric start or reverse installed new battery when I go on long ride reverse will start working and the starter will try to work when it's cold push starter button nothing what could be the problem

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Reverse is belt, clutch, transmission and engine

Starter is electrical/mechanical - need more details about what it does and doesn't do.

It akin to; my windshield wipers don't work unless it's raining - what should I do to fix them? A question like that means it's working, but the asker is wanting an answer other than it's working. I don't know how to define the problem because I don't have sufficient clues as to the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got good buy on it the battery was dead it starts on first pull he said needed battery and electric start would work put new battery in nothing but sometimes when I hit the start button the starter tries to turn sounds weak. Reverse works sometimes if I ride it for an hour reverse will start working??? I'm not a mechanic I'm good parts changer it I know what part greatly appreciate any help. And you might check the fuse on your wipers

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Jump the battery directly to the starter motor - if it cranks normally, replace the starter solenoid - if it cranks slow, replace the starter motor.

Change the oil in the transmission - refill with ATF type F or Dexron 2 or 3 if type F is not available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts