Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. as you all know this quad has been a big project for me as I got it in pieces when I bought it lol. but I got her running and mostly put together! now all that's left to fix is these small but annoying issues. #1: I cannot for the life of me set the linkage for the shifter right to where high and reverse work perfectly. it's either one kicks in solid and the other doesn't at all or both are sketchy and grind a little and has to be at very low idle or even off. help with that would be great. #2: I broke the solenoid and have ordered another. now I don't know if that has something to do with this coming issue but we will see. the fan wouldn't run until I rewired it to another source of power (i.e. the etc(electronic throttle control) wire which I am not using, also hooked up to the four wheel drive since the shifter switch is broke). it might work once I get the new solenoid in but who knows. now #3 the four wheel drive. I noticed the other day the front right tire was locking in and out when I had the four wheel drive on. I checked the fluid and made sure it was topped off. checked the wiring I did to the etc wire and all good. now mind you the left front tire locks in and stays in. now #4: the damn brakes will not stay tight. I adjust them and ten to fifteen minutes later the pedal goes to the floor. WTF!? I tightened the crap out of te locking nut and it boggles my mind how it could lose it. any help with of these topics is greatly appreciated. also if any of you know where I can get the two front headlight bulbs for cheaper than $20 a pop would be great and the plastics that cover the side of the gas tank. thanks a million folks!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your idle needs to be just right for it to shift perfectly.

The fan is probably the temp switch in the radiator.

The 4wd is very picky. There is a great thread on here about how it works and step by step items to check. You'll have to search.

The brakes, make sure your brake brackets are all tight. Mine was doing the same thing. Turned out the bolts on the backside of the lever were loose. Little locktite and few spins of the ratchet, I was back in business.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok where is the fan switch? and what is the thread about the 4x4 as well? i will look and try to find it before you reply :) thanks alot! p.s. i've got onlyone bolt on the caliper to adjust the brake. also where did you get your winch mount?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The fan temp switch is in the radiator. Top and just about dead center. Search for the thread. The bolts I'm talking about are not the adjustment bolt. They are on the back, in front of the rear tire. Two bolts that hold the caliper on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey I just replaced the fan switch on my '95. Had a hell of a time finding one since they're discontinued. If your switch is the same 1/2" NPT thread as mine, this will work from Summit Racing:

Auto Meter 3246 -
Temperature Switch, 200 Degrees F On, 170 Degrees F Off, 1/2 in.-14 NPT

Just cut the wires from the factory switch and use the female connectors that come with the new switch...easy as pie. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts