Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks! I'm new on this site and hopefully I have good luck with it. I just bought a 97 Polaris magnum 425 4x4. I got a great deal on it but it was in rough shape. new starter, new filters, new fuel lines, new brake lines, etc. I finally got it running after a week or two of tinkering in my spare time. unfortunately the idle is a little too low and I can virtually give it no gas or it will fall on its face. I've just cleaned the carb thru n thru so I don't think its a jet. I tried to adjust the air/fuel ratio and nothing at all changed. I checked the fuel pump for leaks or tears in the diaphragm and seen nothing. spark plug is clean and dry. it will start in one turn but will not take throttle. blows my mind. I have a feeling im going to have to check the jets again and the needle valve again to make sure. if you guys have any other ideas please feel free to help a brother out. I wanna try the 4x4 on this bad boy before it gets too dry! thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You got the vent lines hooked up correctly? Check the intake boot for any cracks and boot bolts are tight on the jug.
Make sure the carb. is installed all the way in the boot.
Per spec. the needle should be in the third groove-middle, and fuel mix screw out 2 1/2 turns out. If all that checks out and you're
sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.
You may want to remove the valve cover and check adjust the valves, set at top dead center, .006" all four. Inspect cam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the thing is it started and ran a high idle until I hooked up the etc and had to adjust everything all over again. vent lines are pretty basic. hard to mess up. maybe its the fuel pump? I will make sure the needle is correct and the f/a screw is set right. no cracks in the boot or anywhere I can see. im about to send it into the shop. im about sick of this dang thing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bruce! so I got it running good for the most part. now im trying to figure out the four wheel drive. front shafts are spinning but not locking in when I press the button. that mean the hubs are bad? I have no clue about four wheeler front ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts