Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 97 sportsman and the 4 wheel drive wasn't working. After going through the electrical ohming everything out and checking volt readings I determined that the switch wasn't getting any power. I have a Clymer manual that has electrical schematics but after looking at my switch they don't match. My Clymer manual shows two wires a gray and gray white coming off AWD switch but on the actual switch I have four wire a brown, gray, gray and white, and a yellow wire. I looked all over for the yellow wire all others were landed on the board. After messing around I found that the yellow wire was spliced with the gray and white inside the tubing sleeve. I can't figure out if this is the way it should be or not. Something looks rigged with it. Does anyone know where these wires should land or have any ideas that might help. THANKS I'm clueless

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yellow is power 12v power for everything, brown is ground throughout the machine, the greys are for the AWD. Ohm out the grey wire connections at the switch and that will tell you if the switch is bad. You could also just jump them to see if it engages. Does the splice look like it was intentional and soldered in? Rare for a back yard mechanic to go through the trouble of tearing into a harness to splice a wire. They almost always take the easiest access route. It's probably stock as the AWD system needs 12V to engage the hilliards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts