Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I run my 97 400 2 stroker with plow the battery slowly goes dead running the winch and the cooling fan. It will run for several hours but eventually gets so low I have to go put it on the charger. When I check voltage with volt meter it will max out at 14.5 volts and with the engine running at 3k rpm it will charge but lower than that it is 12 v or less. I am sure it would do fine out on a trail, but not so well plowing snow. Is it possible to get a stater with more amp output for this old smoker

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
It's not the stator that's the problem - it's the design of the charging system - it doe's not have sufficient output below 2500 RPM to charge the battery. Cars, trucks, tractors and most other vehicles have alternators that are not dependent on the speed of the crankshaft and are over driven to have an output at idle. The ATV alternator is connected to the crankshaft and relies on engine RPM to spin the rotor. On other vehicles the crankshaft turns at 1000 RPM and the alternator spins at about 3000 rpm thus having an output at idle.

You simply need to spin the engine at higher RPMs for a longer period of time or reduce the load on the battery. Perhaps mount a separate battery for the winch and keep the winch battery charged separately. Get a deep cycle trolling motor battery and deep cycle battery charger and just operate the winch with it and keep it separated from the ATV charging system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same problem with my Xplorer 400 with power steering and plow winch discharging the battery while plowing. What I did was make a new larger battery tray that sits above the rear shock under the back plastic. I was able to put a garden tractor size battery in it. That battery keeps me plowing for 2-3 hours. When I'm done plowing I park it and keep it plugged into an intelligent 2 amp charger. I have attached a short two prong charger lead to the battery to make it very easy to plug in the charger. I do consciously try to use the winch as little as possible when plowing just to keep the battery charge high so my power steering continues to operate. The 400 only outputs a maximum of 280 watts so it's a very minimal charging system.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
According to the service manual that's 200 watts of AC single phase at about 6000 RPM
200 watts = 13.5 amps, but rectified to DC drops it to 6.75 - calculate the loss from rectification and it's about 6 amps total to run the lights and charge the battery - the headlight takes about 5 amps (12v 60w bulb) so that leaves 1 amp to charge the battery if nothing else has been added to suck energy out of the battery. The battery has to charge for 4 to 10 hours at one amp to be fully charged. Therefore, you have to run at 6000 RPM for up to 10 hours to charge the battery fully. Minimal is an understatement. It's why the newer machines have 3 phase alternators. The early machines were never intended to have grip heaters, high power lights, radios and winches to drain the battery and AWD was only turned on when needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks a lot. I like the second battery idea. I think that can work. I am planning on running a sprayer pump with it this summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts