Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’ve been having issues with my 4 wheel drive coming on and staying on. I’ve replaced all the seals and fluid in the front end and I’ve tried crossing the wires on the main board to bypass the switch in the shifter. I looking for more ideas of what to do. Is there anyone out there that can help lol. Also it worked fine this fall right after I changed everything

·
Premium Member
2004 Polaris sportsman 700
202 Posts
I’m having the same problems and I did the exact same thing you did, and even replaced front axles, and it did get better but still would come on under power which slams power into the axle splines which can’t be good. I’ve seen it pretty common that the armature plate inside the diff can become magnetized due to heavy usage of the awd and always catch and engage the rollers. The armature plate is the black circular piece with I think 12 little tabs sticking up from it. If it ever gets really bad for me I’ll go in and replace that but it’s ok for me now. The plastic roller cage may also have cracks in it that would cause it to engage.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Also did you fill with Polaris demand drive fluid? If not that would be your problem right there as other gear oils are to viscous and will not allow the rollers to “unstick” from the large gear they ride in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also did you fill with Polaris demand drive fluid? If not that would be your problem right there as other gear oils are to viscous and will not allow the rollers to “unstick” from the large gear they ride in.
I read on the forum some where that you can use a 5w 30 motor oil or a type f transmission fluid and that’s suppose to be equivalent to the on demand fluid. Have you heard of that?

·
Registered
11,865 Posts
ATF is the closest equivalent to On Demand fluid. Type F, A, C, Dexron and even Hytran fluid in hotter climates.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I would for sure go with the Polaris demand drive fluid. It’s like $15 on Amazon but worth it. I have heard a lot of similar situations to yours after using a normal oil.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Thank you all. I really appreciate the feed back
Not sure if you're still having the issue but I got around to rebuilding my front diff again, this time with a new aluminum roller assembly, sprauge cage, or whatever you want to call it, and most importantly, a new armature plate. I think the combo of the new H springs in the cage and mostly the new armature made it work like it did 17 years years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts