Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners complaint was "quit running coolant in oil and air box". Verified coolant in oil tank and tore down assuming head gasket failure. Motor got very hot, stuck piston to cylinder. Later discovered that "hot" indicator inoperative. Rebuilt motor (bore and piston) machine shop said bore was warped but was able to straighten with .020 over. Everything seemed good after assembly. Owner called after two hours of snow plowing said that hot light came on and coolant in oil. Motor did not overheat but leaked coolant into oil until hot light came on, still runs great and no coolant in combustion. I suspect a small crack somewhere allowing coolant to leak into crankcase. Questions are: Has anyone had this problem, if so, where and how did you locate crack? Are these motors prone to cracking, if so, what location. I am thinking two remedies. First, using Bars Leak head gasket sealer in radiator. If that doesn't work removing the head and cylinder, bolting them back together off the motor, pressurizing the coolant system and submerging the hole thing in water. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I would not use Bars sealer..they are prone to clog cooling tubes in radiator...best is to find the leak an do it right....check head gasket again...then retorgue in proper sequence...then pressure test the cooling system to see if its leaking...I believe you can do with no oil in machine and drain plug off to see if any coolant comes out during test...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you say check head gasket. When you remove it how do you tell if it leaking or not. I resurfaced both the jug and the head they where completely flat and clean don't see how it could be leaking there. Wouldn't I need a new haed gasket ?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure exactly where but in bottom of motor near crank I had a cracked case, had it fixed at welding shop and it stopped passing water to oil, guy told me it could last a day or 10 years, been almost a year and so far so good, if I remember correctly it was right side by the crank journal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts