Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to trouble shoot a ‘97 Xplorer 300. Bogs down when throttle applied. Machine was fine in May, went unused for a month or so. Problem appeared when fired up in June. Will run ok when initially fired up. Seems to idle ok. As machine is used gets boggy. Initially thought clutch might be problem, however bogs in R, L, H, and Neutral. Not sure where to start. Ran fine all fall and spring. Going to look at and replace plug, but suspect it’s more complicated than that. Any suggestions where to start and how to proceed would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
If it has ethanol blended fuel in it you are probably going to need to pull the carb and clean it. Change the plug for sure and eliminate all the easy stuff, but be prepared for the fuel issue. Also could be in the secondary clutch. If the buttons get worn out the clutch won't act right. Try it with the belt off and see if it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would I be better off to install new carb? Finding correct jets, needle etc.. seems a bit confusing.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Original carb is always best - jets do not necessarily need replaced, just cleaned - only replace what is damaged or cannot be cleaned

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
As for a new carb, I would say NO. Unless you are going to pony up big cash for an OEM Mikuni piece you are asking for trouble in my opinion. The cheap knock offs may or may not work properly with your machine You are always better off to clean and repair your original carb if at all possible. If that one isn't fixable, then my next alternative would be a used original and rebuild that one. We see way to many times where a guy will buy the cheap knock off carb then have trouble making the machine run properly.

As Latebird said, replacement isn't usually necessary, just cleaning. These carbs are not that complicated but if you are not comfortable tearing it down yourself, you can always take it off and to a shop you trust to do that part. Save $ by doing the remove and replace yourself that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts