Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my xplorer after plowing my driveway..
went back few hours later and it flooded bad.
never done this before it's always started... changed plug ;fresh fuel has compression,only checked with my finger over hole.
let it sit over night few times. try next day just a big back fire,
and nothing. has spark but still won't fire.
I;ve read posts about draining crankcase of excess fuel but can't find this drain.
Anyone PLEASE have a pic of this drain.?
also noticed counter balance oil is low .would that affect starting?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yea it's a common problem with this model. It's an issue with your carb, simply turn off the fuel when your done using the machine and it will prevent this from happing again until you get the carb fixed. It's very annoying!! If you crank it for a few minutes with the throttle wide open it will start. I am not sure where the drain is though. I have the same issue and I will not fix it till the spring when it warms up. Open up the air box and you will see a puddle of gas in there, I take an old cloth and mop it up before trying to start it. If your counter balance oil is low you can fill it by the air box, it looks like a big Philips head screw. Most likely "like myself" you will need to replace the counter balance seal along with the water pump seal to resolve that issue. Counter balance oil will not affect starting.
High maintenance on the Xplorer's !!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thnks I;ve tried the open throttle still nothing..just a backfire sometimes
When I have forgotten to turn off the fuel since I have had this problem I have always started it with the air filter out and the cover to the air box removed. I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not. It does take a good few minutes of cranking to start it though. I peg the throttle and crank for a bit, then it will stutter and stop and then eventually start:motz:

·
Registered
434 Posts
sounds like your needle valve on your float is dirty/warn out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks I realize why it's flooded
But Any Idea on the Drain?
I;m not being lazy.. Just been sick for weeks and can only spend Limited Time out in the cold trying to figure this out.

Also If the Woodruff Key in Flywheel was Sheared Would It still turnover with Starter?

·
Registered
434 Posts
it shouldnt and i wouldnt run it like that it will wreck your flywheel and possibly crank shaft. you crank position senser goes off of your flywheel and it will throw that off aswell

that being thrown off may be the cause of why it wont start and just backfire. the reason it will still turn over is because its on a tapered shaft just like the primary clutch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts