Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the old starter and bendix off the Xplorer I've been working on. I purchased a new starter, bendix and gasket from Internet Starters and Alternators. I'm struggling to get the bendix to mesh with the teeth on the flywheel. I have not removed the flywheel. Is it necessary to remove the flywheel to lineup the teeth of the bendix with the teeth of the flywheel or should it slide into place from the starter side?

I'm assuming those bendix teeth and the flywheel teeth stay engaged all the time and only the interior teeth of the drive gear move and connect with the teeth of the starter.

If the flywheel needs to come off - is there a way to manufacture one's own flywheel puller like the one I manfactured to pull the drive and driven pulleys. I learned that tidbit on this forum.

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
9,809 Posts
Did you not remove the old ones? If you have the recoil cover off, the starter gear simply slips into the hole in the inner case with a thrust washer behind it. The starter comes into the case from the back side. It's impossible to put the starter gear in from the starter side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it was impossible to get the drive gear into the correct place without removing the flywheel. I did get it on by putting it on through the from the starter side separately and then sliding the starter over it. It was a three-hand job though and thankfully a buddy provided the third hand. I haven't tried to fire up the beast however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts