Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to this forum and im in a bit of a spot, so if ya can help id sure appreciate it. i just bought a 98 500 from a friend, it was his dads bike and its in pretty good shape. his dad passed in 02 and he recently decided to rebuild the bike. he had the bike bored .40 over, put a wysco piston, and a new stock spec cam, he had the head resurfaced and a few other odds and ends. he got tired of workin on it so i took over. the only prob i found left with the bike is that the gas turned to varnish inside the carb. so my q to you guys is what carbs would fit this bike, and what would give the best performance. i would like to get all i can from it, but not sure what would mount up to the bike, or what would be too much. i was told a predator carb would totally drown the bike in the low rpm, and im not sure what year 500 carbs would fit the bike. thanx in advance, chase.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get a gallon of Berryman Carb Dip at Autozone and soak the disassembled carb parts in it for a few days? Just be sure to remove all of the gaskets and o-rings - anything that's not metal. I do it all the time with excellent results. Just pull it out, spray with a can of carb cleaner and blow out with air. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i agree and already have them soaking in a 5 gal of chem-dip. my hobby is in classic chevy resto, not atv resto. i know the same basic principals apply to 4 stroke internal combustion engines, but what im used to and this are on two totally different scales. i was thinking since the bike was bored .40 over and has a piston with a higher than stock compression ratio, that the bike could use a little higher cfm or at least a larger jetted carb. i want to attain as much performance out of the bike as i can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dont know what help I may be, I have an 04 500HO, I had a Moose jet kit installed and a K&N pre filter and air filter as well as some clutch work done.
The jet kit woke the bike up ALOT, The clutch upgrades helped even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts