Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, this is a great site and has helped me a great deal already.

My problem is an odd one that has me very near selling my machine.

Recently I was getting ready for winter. Just got my plow, and was doing maintenance. Changed the oil, filters and new belt. So I take it out for a ride and it takes off great but then just flattens out. Slows down the machine and bogs the motor. Mind you, that just the day before I was riding with my buddy and it was running GREAT.

I go through the forums and talk to shops and go through the whole wheel of options. I have recently had the valve cover off and had my cam looked at and was told it was fine. Replaced all major parts in the carb. (diaphragm, jetblock asm) The motor rips now in neutral. Exact same issue under load.

So we took to the clutches. Drive clutch(engine) seems in working order. Driven(trans) was taken off and apart and cleaned. No bad wear or anything. the buttons were slightly worn, but my mechanic says not bad. We cleaned it and still had the same issue when riding. We tried every setting for the spring with no change in the perfomance.(this seems odd to me that there was no noticable difference in spring settings) It also seems like the Driven(trans) is not opening when under load. It always gets to about 15-20mph then just slows and bogs the motor bad.

So now I sit here with a new plow and a quad that can't push it. I really like the machine. The motor is solid and the trans was just rebuilt in April of this year. Any help would be greatly received.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Did you put gas in it since you road it & it was running good? Maybe you put bad gas in it!! Only other thing i can think of is spark plug!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have changed the plug a few times. Changed it with the oil and filters and twice since trying to fix it.

It only has the issue when I put it in gear and ride it. In neutral the motor revs up without issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I am a bit concerned now.

I got the rear wheels off the ground and ran the quad to see if it would have the same issue. So far it has not. It seems as though the secondary is now moving the belt and no issues. I am waiting for a buddy to show up so I can secure the quad better for a better test of this. As of this post, the ONLY time the machine bogs is with wheels on the ground under load.

I don't know much about the mechanical side of things. Does this indicate a valve problem? The ONLY time the machine bogs is with wheels on the ground under load.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After going through hundreds of threads and checking all kinds of stuff, my mechanic and I found our way back to the carb and found a float level problem. We set it to specs and the bog disappeared. Our thinking is that there was an oversight in verfiying the float hieght after installing a new needle and seat.

I want to thank all those that posted in this thread as well as all the members of these forums. It was all the great posts I read that keep me looking for the problem. I am really enjoying my Polaris purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yuppers float level and choke setting very important. I had problems with a 96 magum 425 bought used .worked graet for awhile then had issues.till i adjusted float and choke runs good now til pull start broke:shocked: ordered parts for it. good luck and good riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yuppers float level and choke setting very important. I had problems with a 96 magum 425 bought used .worked graet for awhile then had issues.till i adjusted float and choke runs good now til pull start broke:shocked: ordered parts for it. good luck and good riding.
I was having the same kind of issue so I adjusted my float level and it seems to have cured the issue and it seems to have a lot more power now as well. How do you adjust the choke though?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was having the same kind of issue so I adjusted my float level and it seems to have cured the issue and it seems to have a lot more power now as well. How do you adjust the choke though?
I am curious on this as well. are there specs for setting the carb. I need to verify that it is set properly as I am finding that the previous owner had the carb apart a few times,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts