Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First post here. Owned the 98 since it was new... well my dad has. Its sat for about 15 yrs... carb was gone. Needle was stuck and I broke the tab for the float. No problem. Get me a cheap ebay carb just to get it half way running. New carb installed. In the process of putting the fuel tank back on I broke the petcock. Again... not an issue. I'll order a new petcock... but for the fun of it... lucas bottle ziptied to the handle bars upside down provides its fuel source.... now the fun begins...

The bike idles... but only in the 3rd choke position. I can apply throttle and it dies. But if I jack the throttle off I can get it to about half throttle. Before I go any further the etc has been bypassed because the dang thing is stuck. Eventually I'll replace it but at this point I just want the scooter running.

Does anyone have an exploded veiw of the carb? I feel sure it needs to be adjusted and I dont know enough about the carb to dig into it without a veiw of what needs to be adjusted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. I'm pretty sure I've got common cam issues. I've bypassed the fuel pump all together and get the fuel way above the carb. Still only runs in the 3rd choke position and will only get about half throttle if I cover the intake hole on the air box with my hand...

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Your problem could very well be the cheap Ebay carb. Those chinese copies fit your machine but may not be jetted properly or have the right main jet needle for your location. You can either mess with the cheap one or get the right parts and fix the original. Carb kits are cheap and even the floats are available. There really isn't much adjustment to the carb other than the idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts