Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I hope I'm in the right forum.

Ok I have a Polaris Sport 400 that is not charging. Had a 6 year old battery in it.....Got a new sealed one. Rectifier had a "goo" or something coming out of it so I changed it out with a new one. When I put the new battery in it it started up just fine but never charged so it's dead now.

With the old rectifier in it I could back up slow without pushing the overide button. Now with the new rectifier.....I can't back up at all without first pushing the overide.

Any thoughts? Anyone know what my next step would be? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any wiring diagrams or a link where to find a repair manual for this?

How would I know if the magneto was bad?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
just for kicks ,did you hook up the old rectifier to see if it was charging ok??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just for kicks ,did you hook up the old rectifier to see if it was charging ok??
yep.. Sure did. The difference is with the old one I could back up without holding the overide....slowly. the new one I can't back up at all without pressing the overide and it idles rough. That doesn't make sense does it?

If I unhook the rectifier I can back up full speed without pressing the overide button. Is the limiter supposed to work without the rectifier?

I went over to a friends that has a '97 and looked at the wiring. It all looks like it's hooked up the same. The red wire from the rectifier to the battery was checked for continuity also and worked fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody? If I take the battery off I can back up full speed as well. Does the limiter work usually without a battery? Maybe it's the magneto? I'm trying to hold off on buying another one till I find out if this one is good? Anyone know how to check? I can't figure this out? Any suggestions? I'm totally lost here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts