Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 300cc 1998 Polaris Xpress. Starter is dead, so the pushbutton start doesn't work, but for the first couple days would pull start within first couple pulls. It died as I rolled into the garage today. Went back out ten minutes later and it won't start. Spark plug is clean, getting great spark, took the carb off and cleaned it really good. Checked fuel line coming from the gas tank (gravity fed) and fuel is flowing freely. But no matter how many times I try to start it, the spark plug is dry when I pull it out. I could see if this thing was flooded out, left sitting for years, or misused, but it ran only minutes before with no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not very knowledgeable about atvs so please bear with me.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce. Really want to try to get this quad up and moving again. I need to break down and replace the starter so I can use the push button start, all this pull starting while trying to get her to start is wearing me out! lol. At least its keeping me warm.......The only thing I can think now is the valves possibly stuck, but that doesn't make sense because it was running perfectly only moments before....The cold snap we are having shouldn't play a role should it? Sounds dumb even as I ask it, but I have seen stranger things... Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have an actual compression tester. I did the old thumb over the spark plug hole trick and it seemed fine. Just comparing to other four wheelers I have had. The biggest kicker for me is that it was running fine only minutes before. Its not like it was sitting for years, not like I ran it through a lake, has good fuel, has plenty of oil (oil has seperate holding tank on these).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gonna try that maybe tomorrow night. Thought about it, but it seems like everything is a pain with this model. The starter removal requires all kinds of breakdown, and the spark plug is way up under the gas tank. can barely get to it with my hand, much less getting a little gas in it. I am hoping i can fit a little syringe with some gas up in there! Should work though because I know it has good spark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The air box and filter are behind the carb under the back portion of the seat. The plug is up under the gas tank hidden between the frame and gas tank. Whoever made this model Polaris wasn't very user friendly.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would remove the plug and put some gas right in the cylinder, put plug back in and give it a pull start. See if you can get it going. That will eliminate the spark out of the equation and let you concentrate on fuel if it starts and runs.

We do that to older sled to help prime the fuel pumps. It sure beats pulling it 20 times to work the fuel through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts