Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a mint 98 sport 400 2wd, needs a new chain, while i'm at it, im looking to upgrade my sprockets. stock is 13/34 for a 2.62 gear... want a lil more bit outta the hole. where to buy? will i need a longer chain? anyone done this? any advise would b great.
mods are: dg exhaust, stock clutch(for now) stock tire height, 32mm carb jetted, k&n filter.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome to the board!

do you EVER give any advice OR u just say "Welcome to the board!"???
:werd:

Funny :) ...............its just one of his perks

I used to do this with my 2 stroke Suzuki.

I added horsepower to my machine by doing a lot of work to it. ie; milled head, bored out, larger piston, ported, reed mods, flywheel lightened, bored carb etc.......Where I am going with this is you may want a bit more low end but your machine may not like it, especially stock.

Clutching is an alternative or an addition to transfer the horses to the rear wheels.

Takes a bit more power to get her going, even with 1 tooth added to the rear and even with an automatic like the sportsman's, just as an example.

By removing 1 tooth on the front sprocket, you will gain a lot of bottom ( very noticeable ) and loose a bunch at top end.

You might have to play around with the right combo from front sprocket to rear. Bottom line is, You might have to buy a few to get it to your liking. And of course, you will have to get a longer chain if changing the sprockets.

Kind of hard to explain on paper as opposed to in person. But by trial and error, you will get the picture real quick....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm just looking at upgrading the rear sprocket to 42 tooth... that gives me a 3.23 gear ratio up from stock 2.62
question is... how much longer chain do i need? stock is 84 links

·
Registered
378 Posts
What I had to do was by a chain from a local place that sells chains. Not a dealer. Bought one longer than stock ( they cut to my specs. ) and used a chain breaker to get the length I needed. Had to buy the link pin to lock the ends together then adjusted the machine accordingly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, thats what i was just looking into. prob going to buy a longer chain, than cut off what i don't need.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Most likely your best bet. My Suzuki had a pretty good range of adjusting. I made sure the chain had room to move for adjusting. 2 strokes loved to stretch chains.........don't know what yours will but leave room for adjusting from loose to tight.

Oh, Welcome to the forums! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts