Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FIL gave me his old 98 Xplorer. When I got it it did not run, but with alot of work I have gotten it running but not very well, or not in my opinion. Fist thing I noticed is the electric start did not work,I found the power wire broken at the starter, new terminal fixed that. I took the carb off, it was gumed up bad, I disassembled it, soaked everything, blew out all ports and jet with air compressor. Replaced plug with new, I also think the oil pump is bad so I just premix. I get it to crank (not easily BTW) and can run it. The problem is when I try to gas it it wants to choke out, I have to slowly accelerate. So this is the first problem, the second I think is related also, I get the motor idled down to where it barley runs, but I think it is still to fast as I have a hard time getting the thing in any gear. The only way i get it in gear is to try and choke it out, smack the shifter in gear and gas it real quick. The third problem I have is if I use the 4X4, after words it is almost like the from right tire locks up and it tries to turn right, and you have to really fight it to drive in a straight line, then it digs up my yard, I have figured driving in reverse a little bit it seems to fix it for that occurance. The final thing I have discovered is the electric cooling fans is locked up, it seems the fan cost about $200, how important is this fan if all I do is putt around the yard to ride my 5yo for 20 minutes or so?

Sorry to get so long winded, I have been reading this forum for a while and have searched and figured out alot of my problems that way, but these are my final issue that I have not had luck fixing. Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
it sounds like the idle jet is plugged still maybe, try setting the air screw at 1 1/4 turns out that should be close enough, also you may have a frozen u-joint or something like that or the brake is hanging up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the board!:med:
Thank you!

it sounds like the idle jet is plugged still maybe, try setting the air screw at 1 1/4 turns out that should be close enough, also you may have a frozen u-joint or something like that or the brake is hanging up
I am pretty sure I cleared it, but I can double check, do you think that would also keep me from being able to throttle it heavy without cutting it out. I was thinking of taking out the reeds and flipping them over to see if that would help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes the first 1/4 of your throttle comes from the idle/pilot jet if, the idle jet is plugged it will stumble and sputter and cut out when you give it throttle,you also wont be able to get it to idle down properly, its pretty small try to get a tiny wire thru it, does it backfire, running it with out a battery can also cause problems with the rev limiter you can disconnect the black wire that goes from the rev limiter to the cdi on the oil tank unplug it from the circuit board

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the first 1/4 of your throttle comes from the idle/pilot jet if, the idle jet is plugged it will stumble and sputter and cut out when you give it throttle,you also wont be able to get it to idle down properly, its pretty small try to get a tiny wire thru it, does it backfire, running it with out a battery can also cause problems with the rev limiter you can disconnect the black wire that goes from the rev limiter to the cdi on the oil tank unplug it from the circuit board
No it does'nt back fire, It's funny you mention not using a battery. The battery only had a 1 volt out put so I took it off and am using jumper cables hooked to the terminals and I am jumping it off with a small car battery, then I take them off to drive it. So I guess I need to get a battery and try that first. Although I did keep it connected to the battery while trying to adjust.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
First thing I would do is check compression, needs at least 100 psi as for the front wheel , change the fluid in the hub first, see if that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts