Polaris ATV Forum banner

98 xplorer 300, intermittent no start

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
My 98 xplorer 300 normally runs perfect, but on occasion, will bog and stall like it's running out of fuel. When I try to restart, it just turns over and backfires out the exhaust if I give it any throttle or hit the enrichener. Literally everything on the electrical side has been replaced, stator, cdi, regulator, coil, wire and resistor cap, plug, reverse module is disabled, and an inline spark tester shows amazing spark. Usually in an hour, it starts and runs great again. I've pulled the carb and cleaned it/ checked it, all seemed fine. This one's kicking my butt. Thanks for looking.

#2 ·
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

#4 ·
Funny thing, last night was pretty wet out. I started it, ran for a few minutes (I was doing some rack mount work), shut it off, then it wouldn't restart. Thought the humidity might have affected the electronics, so I checked spark, which was great. Came back a couple hours later and it fired right up. Did I flood it somehow? And would it backfire out the exhaust if it was flooded?

#5 ·
Vapor lock is a myth - boiling fuel in the fuel line is the cause of "vapor lock"

I suspect a fouled spark plug or other ignition problem, but if you do not shut off the fuel when stopping the engine, it could be flooding the engine causing a situation similar to a fouled plug

#6 ·
Changed out plug when I was checking spark, (didn't think to turn it over when I had the plug out to see if flooded), still wouldn't start. 2 hours later, started right up. Runs perfect today, although I noticed the mixture screw was out about 4 turns, adjusted that in to 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.