Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new here and new to quad work as well so i need some help. i have a 1998 polaris xplorer 400l i just got it and the guy told me he thought the oil pump wasnt working but he said it ended up working fine so it was smoking at the time of purchase due to the excess oil being burned since he had put mixed gas in it thinking the pump was broke. it made sense at the time so i thought nothing of it. filled the tank with fresh gas cleaned carb and got it running good as before hand it would die at an idle.the smoking went away significantly but not all the way. i took it out riding and about 20 30 minutes into the rides it dies. starter wouldnt turn it over or anything i tried the pull rope and it was locked as well. i went to get the truck and by the time i came back it was free again but still would not start. took it home and it sat for a week i went out charged the battery and it started again and has been since then just havnt been out riding again only around the yard for a couple minutes of run time. any ideas of what im getting into?

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
You are getting into something you will regret. You should have never bought something you know nothing about and with no literature to go with it, but it will be a good learning experience and life lesson.

First, never take the word of someone desperate to sell an antique. It's a two stroke and it's supposed to smoke.
Second, did you read up on maintenance and preventative care? Did you read the owners manual? There is a lot of good information in the owners manual. Like what type of oil to use, how to check the oil in the counter balance gear drive chamber, what type of fuel to use, how to properly inflate the tires and what the controls do.

At this point, you do not know if the oil injection is working or not. You need to verify that the injection is working before riding and doing engine damage - too late, you've already seized the piston at the least, but you are lucky, the damage was not severe enough to prevent the engine from running. It will be perhaps hard to start and will have decreased power and performance, but it still runs, so it's salvageable.

Before you damage it beyond repair, sell it (unless you have an affinity for it and want to make it good again). If it was something you always wanted and now you got one and you want to keep it forever, then learn everything you can about it, fix it completely while some parts are still available (you will discover there are more parts not available than there are available).

Be advised that too much oil is better than not enough oil. Do the maintenance that was probably not done by the previous owner and enjoy it as much as possible while it it still functional. Without some investment it will not last long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats not what i wanted to hear but thankyou for your help and advice. i will for sure be selling this now. which brings me to my next question. i have a 2000 polaris scrambler 500 4x4. it ran and rode when i got it but had to run with the choke on or it would die. i put a new carb on it and now it was the same thing except now it dies when i give it gas as well. any ideas? ive tried setting idle but doesnt help

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
In both instances the carb is not supplying a sufficient amount of fuel with the air to support combustion.

In the first case, the OEM carb is gummed up and needed to be cleaned - the choke is a separate jet that was supplying fuel when the regular jets were not.

In the second case, the carb is not calibrated to the application and is not supplying enough fuel at the larger throttle openings - just need to be calibrated to perform satisfactorily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts