Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum always found good advice on my powerstroke forum so I figured I'd give this a whirl for my quad. So I get down to West Virginia to do the H&M rock house trails quad ran fine before we left but as soon as we got to the trail head it got a really loud engine knock and started to smoke so it got to sit at camp. Luckily we had a four seated rzr with us
So still got to ride and drove my girlfriends scrambler on the second day. So my question is does any have any thoughts on it we were thinking cam bearings kinda sounds like the piston smacking the head. Figure ill pull the motor soon before it gets to cold to work in the yard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally it's been back firing a lot before it happened. Cleaned carb and had dealer adjust but still was to rich. My gf's scrambler is back
Firing too now when you let off the throttle mainly after a hill climb but
Sometimes at any point. Just making sure hers isn't going
Down the same road mine is. Hers is an 01 mines a 99

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The knock is probably gonna be the primary clutch buttons worn out. TO see if that is it remove belt cover,belt and primary clutch. Start it up and see if the knock disappears. As far as the backfiring remove the valve cover and check for excessive wear on the camshaft lobes. Most of the time the middle lobe will wear out. That is the exhaust lobe. Not very often but sometimes the intake lobe will get severe scoring.
That is caused by improper maintaince,carb flooding putting gas into engine oil or wrong weight of oil. Always use 0W-40 synthetic motor oil. I use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I vote with the cam thought. Expecting we have a cam issue with our 325 and looked today and the cam only is was about $400 at one web dealer. Find out this older stuff is OK as long as the engine stays solid. We may go back with Mobil 1 racing oil containing additives to help save the cam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got the motor out today. Had a friend at the local dealer listen to it and he thinks it's in the piston. Noticed in tear down that the flywheel was loose but feel like that wasn't it
So I'm going to continue into the motor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts