Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site, thanks guy's for being here.
Picked up a Craigslist special: 1999 Magnum 500 4x4, wouldn't run. I'm trying to spend a minimum on it until I can ride it around a little and prove that it's worth it.

After cleaning the carb she'll start up and run OK, but when I turn the starter off, the atv shuts off. Forgive me, as I'm sure most of you are aware, but this atv has an unusual start / kill switch setup. The kill switch is actually normal, on the left side handlebar, off / on / off. The key (I believe) just has a starter engaged / starter dis-engaged position. Its strange in that there is no spring in the key returning it to dis-engaged.

So it won't stay running without the starter engaged. The atv is missing the pull start handle which opens that area to weather, so the stator assembly I'm sure is not in the best of shape. Is my issue the stator simply isn't producing juice, so the atv won't sustain itself? Do you think my problem lies elsewhere?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Compression is good I take it? (have to ask)

Pull the headlight pod and make sure that your electrical connections are good on the ignition switch. On my xplorer 400 I used to have I ended up replacing the whole ignition switch ($20 on ebay with 2 keys) because sometimes it wouldn't shut the ATV off, and sometimes it would decide to just shut it off on its own. I would for sure check out the condition of your stator tho, reinstall the pull start, after you get it running properly of course.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips and the welcome.

I am not sure about compression, but the quad starts pretty quickly and sounds ok. I just need to be able to stop spinning the starter while she runs.

I opened up the headlight pod and had a look at the connections. Appears to be ok, fairly clean, and I applied Di-electric grease to all connections. The neutral light is not working, not sure if its connected with my problem or not. I am reluctant to pull / replace stator because of the work /cost involved without yet knowing if I have even bigger problems yet to be found in the engine / drive line.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you sure you don't just need a new ignition switch? I never heard of one that doesn't spring back when released. My old one had a 2 position switch but it had a separate starter button to push. (1990)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no starter button. It is a strange set-up. The key switch looked to be in good shape, but I guess its a possibility. Anybody else on here can confirm how the key switch / starter procedure is supposed to be? I don't know Polaris's. The previous owner could have cobbled something together without me knowing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
See if you can see a part number on it. According to the chart it should be a #4110209. Used the same switch for several years in lots of models.

Browse

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
There's no starter button. It is a strange set-up. The key switch looked to be in good shape, but I guess its a possibility. Anybody else on here can confirm how the key switch / starter procedure is supposed to be? I don't know Polaris's. The previous owner could have cobbled something together without me knowing.
This sounds like what has happened to me...

EDIT: I think on the later magnums like yours they were a "turn key" ignition like a car. Get yourself a new ignition. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-KE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b4c0117f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Co...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f08bddc1b&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help all. I just ordered up a new key switch. As soon as it comes in I will let you know if that does it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok,
I think I'm getting somewhere.

The key switch cam in, but the harness plug doesn't match up with my stock unit. My switch looked in very good and unmolested shape anyways though, so I think I'm ok there.

What I did find is this: Small, aprox 18 guage pink jacketed wire with a home grown "prick-splice" connection into a red/white striped wire I believe is coming from the kill switch. This pink wire goes to the starter solenoid and is serving as the power supply for the stater solenoid. Like I said, this is home grown. The atv does also have a red/white wire on the pos post of the starter solenoid coil, and this matches up with the basic print I have. I only have a partial wiring diagram, but I think the red/white connects the kill switch / key switch / starter solenoid in a series path. Likely this circuit is screwed up somewhere on my ATV, so the former owner tried creating a "jumper". It might be that the kill switch is to blame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,
This is the worst case of operator error...

I went through all of the wiring harnesses and plugs, expecting breaks, dirty connections etc. I found lots of dirty connections, but nothing fixed the issue. I went to the dealer today to make sure I did in fact have the right key switch. A really hot girl covering the parts desk then informed me that on those year Polaris's, the off/run/off switch doubles as the start switch by pushing up on the button when in the run position.... I had no idea. I never heard or seen a set-up like this. The atv didn't run when I bought it, so I didn't see the previous owner operate it. Anyways, I come home after work today and just tried it. Bingo! Morale of the story: hot parts girls are awesome!http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/images/smilies/flowers1.gif

Thanks for the help guys, your advice was appreciated. Not much can help operator error. Learn something new every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts