Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my 400 back together and running today,bored .040 over,new bearings and all new seals. it started right up but would barely idle(kept dying),after messing with the idle screw i could get it to idle(out 1 turn). is that about where it should be??
also i can barely see the oil on the counterbalance dipstick,i put 4 ounces in it,and i took the front drain plug loose and oil started coming out ,i hope that is the correct hole.
runs fine ,no bubbles in the radiator
any help,please

·
Registered
483 Posts
My book shows 1.5 turns out on the idle mixture screw. Are you referring to the Mixture screw or the Idle adjustment screw?
On the 400 counter balance oil should be with in the knurled area or marked area of the dipstick.
So what all did you have apart during rebuild, Just top end? Was it running prior to tear down? Has the carb been cleaned, inspected, or rebuilt. Just trying to get a bit more info to help diagnosis your problem.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was running prior to tear down,just not well . i bought the thing used and it had a chunk missing out of the piston. at first i was going to just do the top-end but the crank had some play in it ,so a complete teardown with new bearings ans seals was in order.i just got it running last night and my main concern is the oil and counterbalancer.after putting the oil in ,i checked the dipstick and it was very easy to see in the knurled area but after running it, i shut it off and can barely see it on the stick. i just am wondering if it got into the crankcase.i took the front drainplug loose and oil came out,i don't remember if that is the counterbalance drain or the crankcase drain. if it's the crank drain then i've got problems

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok, after looking my brother's 400 the plug you pulled is the counter balance oil plug(Just in front of the starter). Is this correct? There is no crankcase plug except for the pull start side cover plug.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you ,now i feel a lil more at ease. after i get done eating i was going to go out and look at the carb. and check the timing .

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try choking the carb, with the air box off, use your hand to cover the back of the carb some while giving it throttle, if it revs up better then the carb isn't supplying the fuel it needs. If so, most likely a stopped up main jet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts