Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks. New guy here.
It's that time again. Going through and changing all fluids and filters on my '99 Polaris diesel. I recently dropped my $100 + at my dealer for air filter, pre-cleaner, breather filter, fuel filter and bottle of Demand. Already had AGL for trans, Mystik 80-90 gear oil for front gear case and engine oil and filter.
Does anyone know the capacity of the front gear case? I have wondered about this before as it seems to take very little to fill it.Nothing in owners manual concerning amount. I would guess it would be the same for a Sportsman 500 of that year.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
latebird, thanks for the info. The fill plug on my gear case sits at an angel. Owners manual says to fill to bottom thread which is very difficult to see without removing the tire. I know I have slightly over filled in the past trying to get to a level where fluid can be seen. When I drain and change now I can simply measure out 5oz, pour it in and I know I'm right.
Thanks much,
Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't over think this No Trax. If the oil is running out the fill plug, or close to it. You'll be fine.

I once worked in a tiny little town just outside of Lincoln, called Bennet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't over thi9nk this No Trax. If the oil is running out the fill plug, or close to it. You'll be fine.

I once worked in a tiny little town just outside of Lincoln, called Bennet.
I agree. I used to fill until it slowly came out the hole on my diesel, and it never gave me any issues, and it was ridden hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I appreciate the input from you both!
ArlyA, I am in Fremont. Was in Lincoln just last weekend for a gun show.

Thanks again,
Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been to Fremont a few times. Still have a strobe on your waterpower? Many, many years ago, had a G friend there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No strobe, no tower all pump from the well field.
I see now you are in Gods country. Gotta love the North!
This is close to the arm pit of the earth.
I can get by with that cause I am not a native.
Originally Sioux City, Ia was home.

Take care,
Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Seems there was a strobe on top of some taller structure there because the fellow who designed it, was a Fremont native.

Been to Sioux City many times and rode bikes to there once for the start of RAGBRAI from Sioux Falls, where we lived. Small world?? We moved out of SF in 1995 or so.. My folks reside in Chamberlain SD. Maybe we'll see you up to visit sometime? :grin This is our dogs blog which shows many photos from here. The Trail Mutt Reports

No strobe, no tower all pump from the well field.
I see now you are in Gods country. Gotta love the North!
This is close to the arm pit of the earth.
I can get by with that cause I am not a native.
Originally Sioux City, Ia was home.

Take care,
Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if the strobe is on the grain elevators on old highway 275. Definately a tall structure.
I enjoyed the pictures. Beautiful country. Canoe country. I have an 18 1/2 footer hanging over my truck in the garage.
Spent quite a bit of time in northern Minnesota, Ontario , Manitoba and Saskatchewan in my younger days. Have a real soft spot for the North and real camping.
Chamberlain Huh? Years ago Dad and I did allot of walleye fishing there. Been a real wet year both here and up there. The Missouri has been at or near flood stage most of the summer. Sioux Falls was hit by tornadoes a short while back. Heard there was quite a bit of damage.
Sorry so long winded.
Have a good weekend,
Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts