Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am new to this site and would like some ideas on this so i just got my self a used 99 polaris sportsman 500 with 1400 miles on it. I put on it my self 300 so far but i have changed the spark plug oil and filter air filter. So this is on and off i am in maine so its cold right now about 30f in the morning so i some times need to move stuff with my atv. It will smoke white for a bit then stop then some times when its warmer out it will do it or wont at all. I no that ur car when it starts up it smokes because of the water when its cold this is the same idea right plus i noticed it used some oil from the last oil change but no leaks as i can see any ideas would be nice thx

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you are just running it for 5-10 minutes at a time water will build up in the muffler on most any vehicle. As noted white it often steam and not motor oil. If after 20 minutes of hard running (3000> RPM) is you still see white smoke (steam) expect a coolant leak but low coolant level would be seen I expect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for all the replys guys and it only does it for less then 5 mins once warms up but all so it leaks or burns coolant because i have to add some like ever 2 or 3 months. I will fill it up then start noticeing it go down not fast tho the quad runs great no bs no miss fire starts first pull with out choke so far i just been puting some in and keep rideing it the oil is fine to no coolant in it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all so i did notice all so my oil was low after i drove it for 300 miles not much not even a cup or so. Did i buy my self a headache it was stored in the garage he used it to pick up his daughter from the bus stop i was told all so never any time to ride it work week 72 hours ect theres all so no rust at all on it no worn out parts the only mod that was done the fan is on all the time when the key is turned sounds to me it might of had a over heating issue at one point?

·
Registered
526 Posts
coolant leak down test could be performed if you had the right cap to fit the radiator.

fan running all the time when the key is on is just a quick no cost fix by twisting two together vs buying an expensive part to turn on the fan.

You may or may not have a real problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
coolant leak down test could be performed if you had the right cap to fit the radiator.

fan running all the time when the key is on is just a quick no cost fix by twisting two together vs buying an expensive part to turn on the fan.

You may or may not have a real problem.
I need to look into this twist 2 wires mod, I would prefer my fan always run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i dont mind adding some to it its not that bad and not geting worse same with oil and i ride all the time never any issues with it only time is when i ran it out of gas lol all so i no its off topic but polaris atvs have reserve tanks right because i needed it at one point in time and it did not work lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
yea i dont mind adding some to it its not that bad and not geting worse same with oil and i ride all the time never any issues with it only time is when i ran it out of gas lol all so i no its off topic but polaris atvs have reserve tanks right because i needed it at one point in time and it did not work lol
Check out the gas lines logic at your cut off valve. If reversed you can change them or trying running in reserve position then go to run position when it starts to die from lack of gas in the tank.

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
386 Posts
Whatever you do don’t use anything that sais “stop leak” that stuff is absolutely death sentence for your engine, diagnostics and proper repair will reward u in. Return with possible 10+ more years out of the machine, older 99 n oil level dropping if not leaking probably getting past the rings or valve guides/seats u may need a top end rebuild, not expensive nor terribly expensive if you do it yourself, sounds like you’re about to get to know this bike a lot better good luck out there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts