Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished rebuilding the top end, piston, jug,and cam. I filled the oil ( 2 qts ) started it and bleed the vent as stated and all of the oil dumped onto the air cleaner. WTF??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have arrows on them ,bottom goes in to motor, top is return. checked all lines for blockage and replaced the pressure check valve?? appreciate the help??

·
9,844 Posts
Yep, bottom fitting on engine to the top of the tank and top fitting to bottom of the tank.
Which line dumped the oil in the air box? The crankcase breather line or the tank breather?
If its still doing it pull the crankcase line off the air box to see if you have too much blow by. If it was the tank vent you may have just let it build too much pressure before releasing and it puked it out of the tank. I never do the pinch-the-line deal. I just prime the pump, sump and lines with oil on assembly and call it good. Never had a problem that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, bottom fitting on engine to the top of the tank and top fitting to bottom of the tank.
Which line dumped the oil in the air box? The crankcase breather line or the tank breather?
If its still doing it pull the crankcase line off the air box to see if you have too much blow by. If it was the tank vent you may have just let it build too much pressure before releasing and it puked it out of the tank. I never do the pinch-the-line deal. I just prime the pump, sump and lines with oil on assembly and call it good. Never had a problem that way.
crankcase breather line pumps the tank dry into the air box, I caught the oil in a pan and even tried pinching the hose and it builds pressure??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the air box will hold 2 quarts of oil without filling the cylinder
Duh! when the motor runs it pumps the tank dry. Installed new one way valve also crankcase is building pressure from the pump into crankcase line to air box. new jug, piston and rings, cam and rockers,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks I will get pics , I pulled lines off and blew air thru all of them, bottom of oil tank goes to " in " arrow also has screen filter, vent for tank is all the way on top .Had the tank completely out and cleaned it with parts washer and reinstalled. motor purrs

·
9,844 Posts
I think he's probably talking about the pressure regulator dowel and spring latebird # 14 & 15.
Polaris refers to it as a one-way valve. In my experience, when they get stuck making too much oil pressure it'll usually blow out the filter gasket. At least on the twins that's what often happens. Never had trouble with one on the 500's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he's probably talking about the pressure regulator dowel and spring latebird # 14 & 15.
Polaris refers to it as a one-way valve. In my experience, when they get stuck making too much oil pressure it'll usually blow out the filter gasket. At least on the twins that's what often happens. Never had trouble with one on the 500's
View attachment 137319
yes I replaced the one way #15 haven*t got the pic yet but im sure the lines are correct. I will be checking the oil passage to the cam and rockers next

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was under the impression, you have to prime the oil pump every oil change.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
It's an assurance thing - Polaris can deny a warranty claim based on failure to follow the prescribed procedure if there is a problem caused by a lack of lubrication. Do you prime the oil pump in your car every time you change the oil? It's the same style of pump. I don't even prime the pump after doing a complete engine rebuild. I simply pack the pump with a light grease, fill the lines and tank then start the engine and check for oil flow. During assembly, the engine parts receive sufficient lubrication to run for about a minute without any additional lubrication. That provides plenty of time to check, purge and prime if necessary. But if you do the prime procedure, you are not hurting anything - it's just an extra (and generally unnecessary) step.

·
9,844 Posts
I'll just say that... Yes, Polaris does recommend that you do that weird voodoo ritual thing if you drain the sump and leave it at that lol. 😉
And... Yeah, what latebird said too ^^^ while I was typing a response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's an assurance thing - Polaris can deny a warranty claim based on failure to follow the prescribed procedure if there is a problem caused by a lack of lubrication. Do you prime the oil pump in your car every time you change the oil? It's the same style of pump. I don't even prime the pump after doing a complete engine rebuild. I simply pack the pump with a light grease, fill the lines and tank then start the engine and check for oil flow. During assembly, the engine parts receive sufficient lubrication to run for about a minute without any additional lubrication. That provides plenty of time to check, purge and prime if necessary. But if you do the prime procedure, you are not hurting anything - it's just an extra (and generally unnecessary) step.
where are you checking for oil when all is put back together??

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
where are you checking for oil when all is put back together??
There is three ways to check oil flow and oil pressure - one way is by the manual:

An alternate way is to loosen the plug with the engine idling - as the plug is loosened, if oil starts coming out around the threads, then there is pressure.

The third way is to take the fill plug out of the oil tank while the engine is idling and look into the tank - oil returning from the engine is visible in the movement of the oil within the tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is three ways to check oil flow and oil pressure - one way is by the manual:
View attachment 137326
View attachment 137327
An alternate way is to loosen the plug with the engine idling - as the plug is loosened, if oil starts coming out around the threads, then there is pressure.

The third way is to take the fill plug out of the oil tank while the engine is idling and look into the tank - oil returning from the engine is visible in the movement of the oil within the tank.
thanks for the info ,putting it on the back burner for now . but will hit you up when I tear into it and let you know what I find.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts