Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plowing today and ran into some issues.

When I drive forward or backward, 2wd or 4wd, I am getting a hard jerk in the handlebars and it wants to twist out of my hands.

In looking at my cv joints, the boots are both shot and I don't know for how long. No grease at all so probably for a while now. I am guessing the jerking is the bearings are seizing or messed up.

I jacked up all 4 wheels and turned it on. If I turn all the way to either side, it does not jerk but as soon as I start straightening out, it starts to jerk.

What are my options at this point? How much do I have to replace if I have destroyed both bearings/cv joints?

Thanks for any help. I have read the posts on boot replacement and can probably figure out the procedure from there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When the cv's get bad and dirty they will cause those symptoms. It may be possible to clean them out and re grease if you catch early enough. If not you'll have to replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up buying 2 new complete axles from the cv man on ebay for $105 each. Seemed like a lot less hassle than trying to pull them apart, clean, check, replace boot, etc on a 11 year old axle that has been running dry. If they last another 10 years, I will be thrilled. Plus I will keep a better eye on the boots in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts