Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Glad I found this site.I am a bit puzzled with a starting issue on my 500.I tried to start it a few days ago as I usually do in High gear but it would not start but lunges forward a tad under starter power,kinda like starting a manual tranny car in 1st without using the clutch if that makes sense.The issue is intermittent,maybe 5 out of 20 starts it will do this,when it does it I release the start switch and it fires up on the 2nd try.After it is started I have no creep in gear ect..I pulled the clutch cover,blew off all the dust and everything looks good,the belt which I replaced yesterday from Polaris is riding center on the one way,both shims are still intact on the drive clutch but there is guessing about .020" play in the one way bearing but the belt at idle is not touching the sheaves on the drive clutch but even at idle the secondary clutch moves some,idle rpm is correct,all the engine mounts look good.I did notice while setting idle in high gear and switching it off the drive clutch kicks back clockwise causing a lunge or a slight wheel jerk and that's when the start issue seems to happen.I turned the one way bearing by hand and it goes clockwise but not ccw,I'm still thinking it is faulty but not sure.Any help would be great

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check your belt deflection, if your belt is too tight it might be causing this. Did it do it with the old belt? Not sure what you mean by the one clutch?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts