·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So what should my next plan of approach be

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Mechanics choice - if it ran well before the malady; the piston is fine, could knock the sharp edges off the indents if you want to (probably would not be a problem if you didn't) check the cam chain sprockets, chain guide and tensioner carefully for abnormal or excessive wear and check the valve guides for chips and/or cracks from the bending of the valve stem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mechanics choice - if it ran well before the malady; the piston is fine, could knock the sharp edges off the indents if you want to (probably would not be a problem if you didn't) check the cam chain sprockets, chain guide and tensioner carefully for abnormal or excessive wear and check the valve guides for chips and/or cracks from the bending of the valve stem.
At first glance (did not look too closely) the tensioner, how does it tighten? And also, I pulled the cam out to get a better look at it, this was before your last message about it looking new. And, hell I don't know what it's called, the roof that slides into the van to control the ball??? What is the little spring used for on it? It was a pond of oil when I took the cover off and I didn't pay close enough attention to the spring until I had it off....rookie mistake I guess

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Sounds like you pulled the auto decompressor out of the cam - if that it, the spring holds the decompressor 'open' and when the engine spins up to a certain rpm, centrifugal force moves the shaft and the decompressor lets the valve close completely for normal running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did read about the decompression, ill need to figure out how to get it all back together the correct way i guess, any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Pretty simple - just insert the shaft and position the spring to hold the weight toward the inside diameter of the cam - centrifugal force will cause the weight to overcome the spring pressure and all the weight to move outward which will allow the ball in the cam to be pushed inward disabling the decompressor action.

Just follow the instructions in the service manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Alright fellers, verdict...

Got the bike back together, timing is perfect and the chain is tight, valves adjusted to 6k new gaskets etc...

Had a hiccup with spark, but got it figured out.Turned it over and it started, hard start would not idle and missed for 30-45 seconds feathering throttle then died started again hard idled briefly then died no restart. And now it just spins over freely like the plug is out. no compression. checked chain and all is turning how it should. I have the exhaust manifold on but not connected to the exhaust and when i crank on it oil comes out of the exhaust pipe, weird right?? Took the cam cap off to check the decompression lever and it seemed just fine, but it is odd if i position the cam upright so the ball is in the closed position the rod wants to spring back out, but if the motor is turned it fits in there fine. I have the spring correct, or at least how the manual picture shows it to be.
What is going on???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Overdue update, after I tore the old girl apart to figure out what was going on... (after some built up ambition) I pulled the head to see the new head gasket blown. Some other farm issues arose and a few rescue horses came in, tractor went down bad storms resulted in barn work and more time went by and she sat. Finally got back on it and replaced with original and fired right up and ran real good, just like she always did minus rattles and timing chain slap. Spent the next few days fixing other misc things that were wrong. Ie, shifter box clean and grease and linkage long overdue adjustment. Fixed my pod light. Front shocks Blah blah blah, but back together completely as of today, finally got my feed trailer hooked back up and off to another couple thousand hours of good honest work. Thank you all for your input and helping with my sanity!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts