Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, looking for some guidance on where to start troubleshooting.
Here is the background:
Recently purchased used 99. Good shape overall but needed a battery.
Charged and replaced battery. All good.

When the bike heats, electrical problems start.
Speedo and odo fail, lights fail, nothing. Electric start gone too.
Initially thought it was the starter switch module and replaced that. Which did turn out to have shorting inside of it when I tore it apart to investigate.

However, the problem returned this weekend. This time, it's seems to no longer be intermittent. Whatever was failing intermittently, has now failed completely and I had to pull start it this morning to unload.

So I guess step 1 is determining what controls current to everything. Cooked regulator perhaps?

Secondarily, I'm not positive the fan is functioning and need some guidance how to test. I have verified that it works when fed 12v direct. How would I test the temp control switch in the rad or is it cheap and I should just swap it to try?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Bruce. I thought about posting a welcome message in that forum but thought the first thing I'm going to do is ask for help so I'd just post that request in the right forum.

Going to have this bike for a while so I'll be an intermittent regular around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty quiet. :)
Did some more digging and it would appear the very first thing to check are the breakers under the front cowl.

Have to be out this evening but I'll cut those bags open tomorrow and see if that's my culprit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
LR modules on those old machines are pretty problematic. Should be little black boxes under front access panel. The one on the right controls alot of your electrical, including radiator fan operation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, let me tell you guys a story. :)

I discovered the following during troubleshooting.
The charging system is fine all the way to the battery. So it's not in the charging system and it's past that point in the wiring harness.

The 20a breaker right at the battery is good.
The Run/Off switch on the left bar is bad. I discovered accidentally that if I hold it in just the right position, I get lights. Although I don't get the odo/trip lighting up.
So I now know that switch is cooked but it was just replaced a month ago.

So....
It would appear that the previous owner running the wheeler without a battery smoked the regulator/rectifier.
That in turn cooked the Run/Off switch and possibly has also cooked something in the speedo head.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top