Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 99 sportsman 500 and ran into something I haven't had to deal with before. The bike is a recovered stolen unit when the owner got it back several things where messed up but I got most of them resolved except for this issue.

Once I got it back on driving condition I took it out for a quick spin and about 50ft into driving it started pulling hard right almost like a caliper was stuck but it wasn't. I drove it about 500ft like this and then it stopped. next th ing I noticed was it appears the AWD isn't working. So I took it back to the shop and jacked up the front end and first thing I noticed was the left side spins free the right side however will sin forward but not backwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like a really bad wheel bearing on the right hand side.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the AWD not working....separate issue ?

Is this a chain drive ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheel spins free forward just fine. No chain that I am aware of looms like typical cvshaft setup to me

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds like your AWD is doing the 3WD thing.... The hub opposite the one that's pulling like crazy isn't working. On the older machines, with the AWD engaged, the front tires should spin free in one direction only due to the hillard clutch(sp)? If that's not the case, check the power leading to the hub. If you have power, pull the hub down. The roller cage has probably let go on you.

It's a pretty simple system, not hard to work on at all as a rule. Don't let it scare you. If you ever pull one of these down, you'll see exactly why it's important to know these hubs are full of oil....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts