Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 sportsman 500. I rebuilt the carb and it runs like a dream but starting is really tough. If I've ran it that day it's fine but after sitting for a week it's a bear to get firing. I recently discovered that if I put a rag over the carb intake that I can get it to start. I know the choke is working since I can get it to change rpm when toggle the flip switch but it doesn't seem like enough choke. Do I need to turn the choke cable out on the carb? Maybe adjust idle mix screw? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would do a compression check just to verify your in good shape there.

You can also adjust thechoke at the carb so that it "grabs" more if you think your choke is not choking enough.

Being hard tostart after sitting for a week is indicative of compression loss as well so start there.

Make sure you have a fresh spark plug as well so you fire nice and easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didn't have this problem before I rebuilt the carb so I don't anticipate compression issues. It runs way too good and when warm it starts really quick. On the first stroke.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The choke plunger is probably not where it used to be....I just re did a 97 sportsman 500 carb and had to re adjust that choke to get it working properly. It tough to get a wrench on the choke adjustment but tighten it up a little more so it works better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I was hoping to hear but I wanted to hear it before I got in there and struggled with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you use to loosen it? I was using need nose vise grips to break it loose. There's gotta be a better tool. I feel like a amateur when I have to use vise grips.

·
Registered
102 Posts
its one of those things where u use whatever you can to fix it and leave it. its a one and done you hope in the end. I was using a small wrench till i couldn't anymore. If its workin for ya keep goin with what ya got.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The choke lever has 3 positions too. Off, half way (sticking straight out), and full flipped all the way over. Many don't know that. If you are flipping it all the way over and still not enough choke then an adjustment is likely in order as mentioned already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts