Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forums and was hoping to find some help on an atv I am trying to revive.

I will start by admitting that when it comes to two-strokes, I am far from an expert....here is what I have got going on. drained carb and tank and filled up with fresh gas. Replaced broken carb adapter between carb and cylinder. With the choke on, I can get it started and then if i get the choke off right away, i can keep it running by keeping the rpms up but it will not idle at all and to keep it running at lower rpms I have to "play" with the choke.

It seems like a mixture issue to me however I'm not sure where to start. Not sure how to adjust choke or where to set idle mixture screw. I assume there is also a common adjustment for the air screw? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Agro

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like the low speed jet is clogged to me.
Have you taken the carb apart and cleaned it.

The low speed jet is very small and is prone to clogging if left to sit for a prolonged period of time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the carb apart briefly but will pull it apart again today and do a thorough cleaning as that atv has been sitting for many years they tell me. Thanks for the thoughts and thanks for the welcome Bruce

·
Registered
173 Posts
another tip is to make sure it is not electrical (etc for example) you can rule most of this out by unplugging the black wire under the hood it will rule out everyting on the handlebars, ignition, etc, on off switch, (the etc is electronic throttle control it can be adjusted on the throttle cable near the thumb lever housing, its function is to cut off spark if the throttle sticks.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's advice...I tore it apart today and the idle jet was plugged. Cleaned everything up really good and now it runs great. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts