Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 99 trailboss 250.. It has multiple problems. but to start off with, it wont idle right. I rebuilt the carb and set it exactly like the manual specs say. It idles really rough, and when you rev it up, it takes forever for the engine to settle back down? when I go to restart it, I have to spray fuel into the carb to get it to start. It is getting fuel, because it keeps running. Any help would be appreciated. I am almost to the point of taking it to the shop, but I don't know if it is worth me taking that beating.. Unless any one know any reasonable mechs local to me? No offense to the Polaris shop mechanics, I know you have to make a living, I just cant afford to help you with it. LOL Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleburne, Texas is where I live.. Thanks for the advice, I will check the boot. It has surface cracks, don't know if they go all the way through. How could I check the crank case seal? Thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Spray some carb cleaner around the seals and boots while it's running. If idle changes at all you find the problem. Crank seals are tougher but you can usually get it through the recoil rope hole and have to pull clutch cover to spray behind primary. That's usually the one that goes bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check that out. This might be the problem?
Tell me if I'm right, but this is part of the old oil injection? I was told it was bypassed. I mix the fuel 50:1. Should I just take this stuff off, and cap it right at the nipple?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the crank seals, wouldn't I notice some oil around them? or since these 2 strokes pull fuel through there, it is purely vacuum? No sort of blow by to push oil/fuel out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are pics of the jets. I went to Polaris dealer and bought a jet for high altitude, I plan on taking this 4 wheeler to Colorado. First pic is the old jet.
Second pic is new jet.
Why is the new one shorter, than the old one? Will that matter? Did I get the wrong part?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Cap the oil injection port. Sometimes you will see oil from the seals, sometimes not. Totally wrong jet. Should look just like the original, but with a smaller number stamped on it. Put the old one back for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts