Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I got a 99 Polaris xplorer a few weeks ago and when I got it the guy said the 4x4 will not go in when its cold. All I know is sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't (about 3/4of the time it works) seams like the colder it is the least likely it is to work. I have no idea how good it works above 30f. (has not been above 30f)

I was on hear a couple weeks ago and it was suggested to change the hub fluid. witch I did in both hubs with demand drive fluid. and it did not help. (old stuff was like motor oil new was like water) only driven about a mile since then.

I'm assuming this is very bad like the hubs need to be rebuild and there is not much I can do. but any one have any ideas. or is this just normal for these atvs

when I flip the switch the 4x4 light behind the switch does not come on untill the 4x4 engages the light comes on

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so today I had it out on the lake and it would not go into 4x4 at the same time the speedometer quit. then when I was driving around both came back on at the same time.

I beleave I have herd of this before the speedometer needed to be replaced and it fixed the 4x4 after it was replaced

·
Registered
6 Posts
on demand problems as well

I have an 02 500 sporsman ho the right front wheel not engaging all the time and if it does it may disengage on its own. shaft not stripped I switched 2 pin connectors and performs the same, I can touch the magnetic ring with probe and magnetism holds it there. Recently I had hubs apart and changed lube and greased bearings ... Thought then after that the grease was preventing lockup so I took apart again and removed grease cleaned and checked assembly and put back together still the same.. confused and looking for advice....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 02 500 sporsman ho the right front wheel not engaging all the time and if it does it may disengage on its own. shaft not stripped I switched 2 pin connectors and performs the same, I can touch the magnetic ring with probe and magnetism holds it there. Recently I had hubs apart and changed lube and greased bearings ... Thought then after that the grease was preventing lockup so I took apart again and removed grease cleaned and checked assembly and put back together still the same.. confused and looking for advice....
could u have a cut wire? may be a mouse chewed a wire or u cut it on a trail.

I dont think any thing is wrong with my hubs because when it works it works flawlessly and both hubs always go in never one at a time. I lifted all 4 wheels off the ground it put it in and out of 4x4 while spinning the wheels and it worked great. mine has to be the speedometer or a bad connection

if any one knows any good places to buy polaris parts let me know. im looking for a good price on a new speedometer part #3280290

·
Registered
77 Posts
I noticed on my wires going down to the hubs they've rubbed through where they touch the a-arms. Maybe you have the same thing going on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
might want to check armacher plate ( not sure on spelling) i had same thing happen to mine plate gets worn its not much $ and easy fix good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts