Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I'm new to this site so I may be a little rusty at first, but here goes.
About two months ago I bought A '99 Xplorer 400 4x4 with a bad counterbalancer, and I just finished putting it all back together, but when I go to start it, it cranks over and runs for about two seconds then dies. I think the problem is either it is starving for fuel or air, but I'm pretty sure it's not air cause we have the air intake wide open. I also took the carb all apart cause I thought it might need cleaning, but everything looked good and clean and open and all, so i'm kind-of stuck. If you read this and can give me any advice at all that would be great since this is my first atv rebuild. Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
welcome to the forum, from one xplorer owner to another. did it run before you cleaned the carb? check for air leaks around the reed box and carb etc'. is there gas in the carb bowl after it quits. just a process of elimination.check the reeds, did someone work on it before you bought it? you never know on a used ride. check everything and keep us posted, good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Hey,
I've checked everything and it all looks good, I did go and clean the carb out, and after that it does seem to want to start better, and I was able to run it for about 2 minutes yesterday but I had to have the choke at the half setting and I had to feather the throttle the whole time to keep it going so I think that i'm getting too much fuel and am just flooding it, so if you know how to adjust this please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
The airbox needs to be fully assembled. If not it will get too much air and not run right. Just another thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plastic is all off, but the air intake is all assembled with nothing blocking the intake tube. Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Try cleaning the pilot jet(the lil one) next to the main jet. then try adjusting the air mix screw, start at 1 1/2 turns out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
is fuel coming out of the bowl overflow? the little tube on the lower rear of the carb. the float level may be out of adjustment. when the fuel raises the float it cuts the fuel supply off, if this is out of adjustment too much fuel enters the bowl, what can't get out the overflow goes into the motor causing a rich/flooding condition. remove the carb, get a piece of vacum line or hose that will fit on the carb supply,(where the fuel line from the tank plugs on), hose needs to be 12" or so. take the bowl off,hold carb upright(like it sits when installed, at eye level, needs to be level, gently!! blow through the hose while pushing up on the float. if it goes past parellel of the bottom of the carb that may be your problem. you'l have to bend the metal arm conecting the float to the needle valve. check your manual for the exact setting. the service manual explains this pretty well. if you don't have one i recamend getting one! good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts