Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy guys. Mechanic by trade but new to polaris. Just bought a 99 xploder 400 4x4. Erratic spark, no crank. If I unplug the ground wire from what I believe is the cdi (black rectangle box on top of oil tank) my ignition comes to life. This is the first polaris I've owned and worked on. Can anybody explain to me what's going on with this thing? I won't be able to get a manual for a month.

Any help is much appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
On the left handlebar is the off-run-off switch, they are kinda prone to failure as they get a lil age on them. If you've got some patience, you can take them apart and clean, it's probably grounding itself out,which will cause the intermittant spark and no cranking issue with the starter-you do have to push the button up, for the crank circuit to work.
The keyed switch is just on and off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't thank you enough buddy. I have been trying to figure out where the cdi ground went too. I'll update when I get it apart and cleaned.

The starter is bad so I'm doing the manual pull rope cranking. I do know the 4wheeler has sat for years.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - I've tracked the problem to the speedometer. If I unplug it all works as it should.

Anybody had this problem before?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts