Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of history. I bought this machine last fall from a fellow that said it had a busted gearcase shaft. I was told the machine had undergone some engine rebuild and many new parts had been added. Upon getting back home I started checking things over and found coolant in the oil case on the clutch side. So I removed the engine and disassembled it. I replaced bearings and seals throughout upon reassembly. The piston looked to be new with little or no staining from being run. A new head gasket was installed and I put the engine back into the chassis. I disassembled the carburetor and found coolant in the bowl. The carb was very clean so after blowing it all out I reassembled it and installed it on the engine. At that time I inspected the boot and looked in at the reed valves and they appeared to be in good shape. I repaired the gearcase and replaced bearings and seals in it and then installed it into the machine. New chains and adjustments were made and this spring I rolled it out and gave it a start. It took right off idling very nicely but upon accelerating the throttle it bogged out almost shutting down. I removed the carb and checked all the jets and ports, blowing them out again. I noticed the main jet was a #270 which I believe is way to much so I replaced it with a size #230. It still bogged out. I checked the compression and it was 120Lb. I checked choke seat and it was good. Gas flow is good. New spark plug. Air intake is clean. Idles beautifully but still bogs on acceleration. I am lost for answers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
have you checked the ETC contacts in the throttle assembly on the handlebar? Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

·
Registered
163 Posts
The ETC is a safety feature to prevent loss of control if the throttle gets stuck open. When you move the throttle, the plate assembly should move with it. The ETC switch activates if there is slack in the throttle cable by closing and making continuity. If the contacts close while riding the engine will feel like it's died. Again, just a guess based on what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Standard main jet was a 250, but bogging when the throttle is opened it typically caused by a lean condition - if there are modifications to the air box (K&N filter, no lid on the air box etc) then you might need a 300 or bigger main jet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts