Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 570
They are to short, has any one done something to solve the problem?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
This is the first I've heard of the cables being to short. Do the latches work securely? I've heard that you can adjust the hinges to make them tighter. Maybe they can be adjusted to make the cables work better too?

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Where they mount to the atv, make sure the tabs are pointing forward. Where they mount to the lid, make sure the tabs are pointing straight down. (when the lid is open) That makes them as long as they can be. Any other position really shortens them, and they aren't any too long to start with.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we opened all three quads front lid cover on the show room floor, they wanted to close all by them selves.
I made sure the 2 cables were as long as could be.
If I opened them real slow and pulled on them in the open position, they would stay open, just barely.
If the quad was on any incline at all, the lid would close for sure.
I'd hate to jury rig on the brides new machine so soon ((((((((((((

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Adding a rack extender will help a little. These lids are so light that any extra weight helps to keep them open. Don't know why Polaris put such short cables on them. Another 1/4"-1/2" would make a big difference. How much longer is the cable on your 850 storage box? Maybe you could get a couple of them.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Make longer cables.....Easy stuff

I'll make some for ya if you provide the denensions!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll make some for ya if you provide the denensions!
Thank you for the offer.

Bob, my 850 touring only has one cable and it is way to long to work on a 570.
Should I use cable or go with synthetic rope))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well synthetic will be stronger, so I would go with that.

But the cable will handle more abrasion from items inside the box, so I cable it is.

However no burrs on synthetic, go synthetic.

Good one Mark congrats on the new machine

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine are too short too most of the time the cover will stay open but some times it's a real pain in the backside trying to get something out of there and the cover keeps slamming shut by itself

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I took my lid off to install rack extenders I noticed that the cables coiled up. When they want to coil it pulls on the lid. You might be able to "unwind" them a bit. Also make sure that you're giving them the most length you can by pointing the eyelet down from the lid and to the front on the frame.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My rack extender made a huge difference on my lid. and on long rides I've usually got a small cooler strapped down to the lid so that added offset weight keeps it open really well.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I know what you mean by the cables being just a tad short.... my 800's were also. So, I directed the eyelets to point forwards and down and untwisted the cable (all as mentioned prior) before reinstalling. Then after the addition of the rack extender it helped allot too.... but is still a little touchy!

I'd guess though that they are the length they are so the lid doesn't ever extend and hit the brush guard (if / when installed) and create pressure to break the lids plastic hinge pin!! Usually things are done for one reason or another.... even if it isn't apparent when "stock".

If it's a big issues, I'd simply make new cables to your desired length out of electrical eyelets and braided cable or even jacketed electrical wire.... easy fix - easy money!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd guess though that they are the length they are so the lid doesn't ever extend and hit the brush guard (if / when installed) and create pressure to break the lids plastic hinge pin!!
Good guess, that is probably it, not sure when I will let her get a bumper.
Thanks guys for all of the suggestions, I will come up with something.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
there you go again with the "let her" crap. I guarantee, that if she want's something. she's going to get it. She did end up with a nice shiney red SP didn't she?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put on a bumper and removed the cables. They are a PIA. Lid flips wide open now. I noticed a friend's was setup like this from his dealer.

Buddy has 2 like this. Brother in law has 1. I have 1. None of us have had any issues with the hinge breaking.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Why not use a few pieces of 550 cord? Should be plenty abrasion resistant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts