Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a pipe and I'm looking for something with a low gurgly sound that will also help improve performance, another plus would be one with an easily removable silencer that can be put back in. I found two pipes an Aaen and a Big Gun the Aaen is $399 for exhaust only and the Big Gun is $344 for the whole system what do you guys think? It's for a sportsman 570.

I'll also ad that I found an Aaen megaphone muffler for $219 it looks like stock but claims it gives "quick throttle response and hard acceleration. This muffler is a true megaphone with a reversion baffle that improves cylinder filling and adds up to 5hp. 30% louder than stock, only 10% louder with spark arrestor.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Im in the market for a pipe and I'm looking for something with a low gurgly sound that will also help improve performance, another plus would be one with an easily removable silencer that can be put back in. I found two pipes an Aaen and a Big Gun the Aaen is $399 for exhaust only and the Big Gun is $344 for the whole system what do you guys think? It's for a sportsman 570.

I'll also ad that I found an Aaen megaphone muffler for $219 it looks like stock but claims it gives "quick throttle response and hard acceleration. This muffler is a true megaphone with a reversion baffle that improves cylinder filling and adds up to 5hp. 30% louder than stock, only 10% louder with spark arrestor.
Aaen makes one for the 570?

·
Registered
978 Posts
when i get my full exhaust im going with a big gun. But i run a 800 which is a totally different sound then the 570

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
Go with a aaen or a hmf ! Big gun is black or burnt looking after 30 miles and loose bolt hmf is pretty much bullet proof haven't had much to do with aaen but they do seem to make a great product big gun sound great but don't last in my experience !

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the big gun evo. Its throaty and has a deep sound. Other riders can definitely hear you coming!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go with a aaen or a hmf ! Big gun is black or burnt looking after 30 miles and loose bolt hmf is pretty much bullet proof haven't had much to do with aaen but they do seem to make a great product big gun sound great but don't last in my experience ![/

Do you mean it looks burnt on the header part? I watched some youtube videos and they look fine, if the chrome part turns discoloured I don't really care but I heard the cheaper hmf pipes have a poppy sound and you have to pay full out to get the better sounding ones. Royal only has one right now and it's the hmf swamp series for $439.00

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im at the same decision, if only the aaen came with the header pipe.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im at the same decision, if only the aaen came with the header pipe.
Is there something special about the header that gives the engine more horsepower like shape or diameter? They seem very similar to stock so I don't see how it could make that much of a difference. I may wait until April they may have something even better than the Big Gun or Aaen. But right now I'm leaning more towards the Big Gun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The header pipe can definately change hp, torque curve, even engine temps. More importantly is matching the head pipe to the muffler for a complete (tuned)flowing system to really achieve anything noticable in the "seat of the pants" feeling.

All comes down to what one wants to spend and why they want to change it.

From my experience dynoing sportbike few yrs back was the lower price slip-on muffler will gain roughly 1-2hp and more noise and not always a good noise. Whereas the pricier full systems(tuned) could gain 8-12hp and a better sound since its tuned to flow more efficiently directly from the engine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I recently put a Aaen Mega Power muffler on my Scrambler 850, the reason I chose the Aaen is because of the ceramic coating. It has noticeably reduced temperatures under the fender and seat area. The sound is amazing. My twin sounds like a small block chevy dragster! Wouldn't expect that from the single, but I'm sure it would sound very nice. The Aaen has a closed end baffle that comes in the muffler. It's sort of like a quiet core, but has the upstream end closed off so the exhaust has to flow threw the baffles of the insert. I left mine in because it's fairly loud and sounds great with it. It would be easy to take out, just remove the 8 allen screws holding the endcap on and take it out. BTW, ease of repacking also played a roll in my decision to get the Aaen. The body is held to the endcap with screws, not rivets, so I don't have to mess with rivets when I repack it. Small, but a definite time-saver, I hate rivets! Oh, and Aaen sells the repack pillow for only $20, can't beat that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently put a Aaen Mega Power muffler on my Scrambler 850, the reason I chose the Aaen is because of the ceramic coating. It has noticeably reduced temperatures under the fender and seat area. The sound is amazing. My twin sounds like a small block chevy dragster! Wouldn't expect that from the single, but I'm sure it would sound very nice. The Aaen has a closed end baffle that comes in the muffler. It's sort of like a quiet core, but has the upstream end closed off so the exhaust has to flow threw the baffles of the insert. I left mine in because it's fairly loud and sounds great with it. It would be easy to take out, just remove the 8 allen screws holding the endcap on and take it out. BTW, ease of repacking also played a roll in my decision to get the Aaen. The body is held to the endcap with screws, not rivets, so I don't have to mess with rivets when I repack it. Small, but a definite time-saver, I hate rivets! Oh, and Aaen sells the repack pillow for only $20, can't beat that.
Okay thanks for the excellent advice!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Aaen makes one for the 570?
Just realized there appears to be new frame supports on the 570 can anyone tell me if they see sheet metal supports that the muffler attaches to on their 500? If the 500 doesn't have those supports the old Aaen muffler can be easily fitted by drilling a separate hole in the support for the bolt. Here's some pictures of the supports I'm talking about...+guessing that's why the battery was relocated)

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats what i left out, ceramic coated pipes dont absorb as much heat leaving it to be carried away.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think the 570 has a bigger diameter headpipe than the 500, could be a fitment issue there if trying to use a muffler designed for the 500.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the 570 has a bigger diameter headpipe than the 500, could be a fitment issue there if trying to use a muffler designed for the 500.
Ya me too, but I think the Aaen would work since it's just a slip on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Big Gun that I put on is a slip on. The diameter of the big gun is much smaller than the stock exhaust. As for heat displacement, the gap between the big gun and the heat shield is close to 3". I ran this exhaust all last year and didn't have any issues with heat. I also didn't have any discoloration of the pipes. As someone said earlier about the Aaen sounding like a chevy dragster is maybe close to what the BG sounds like. I think that there have been positives on here for both the Aaen and the BG. I'm sure that you will be happy with either one.

One little side note. I did have to cut a small slit in the heat shield for the bracket to attach to the frame. It was easy to do.

You may also check out youtube for some videos on both exhaust.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Good info as I am looking for an exhaust to help with the throttle response on my 850...Aaen looks pretty good to me

·
Registered
294 Posts
Big gun is garbage. They sound sick as hell, but they fall apart right away. Very unhappy with mine

·
Registered
978 Posts
Big gun is garbage. They sound sick as hell, but they fall apart right away. Very unhappy with mine
Did you call customer service and have em fixit? I hear they are great at replacing them when needed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had no interest in getting another one at all. Every big gun I've seen looks like crap and has bolts falling out, and I'm not loctiting everything on a brand new pipe. Shouldn't have to.

I'm hoping someone comes out with duals soon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts