Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

Been searching all afternoon but have not found what I'm looking for. With winter on its way, I plan to hit the snow and mud a lot over the next few months. In prepping for that, one of the things I want to do is water-proof all the connections. I've read to use di-electric grease. My question is...how and how much? I've only used the stuff once when I changed sparkplugs on my GTO.

So for connectors do you just put a dab of it in the holes of the connectors? Do you put any one the metal prongs that will be going into said holes? Do you put any on the little rubberish gaskets/boots to the connectors? Or do you just put a big glob of it in there and snap them shut and wipe off the excess?

Thanks!
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Hey fellas,

Been searching all afternoon but have not found what I'm looking for. With winter on its way, I plan to hit the snow and mud a lot over the next few months. In prepping for that, one of the things I want to do is water-proof all the connections. I've read to use di-electric grease. My question is...how and how much? I've only used the stuff once when I changed sparkplugs on my GTO.

So for connectors do you just put a dab of it in the holes of the connectors? Do you put any one the metal prongs that will be going into said holes? Do you put any on the little rubberish gaskets/boots to the connectors? Or do you just put a big glob of it in there and snap them shut and wipe off the excess?

Thanks!
Jeremy
That's what I do. Make sure you wipe the excess because it attracts debris like glue. I checked my connections 2 weeks a go (since may 24 weekend) and there as sealed as the day I did it back in the spring.
I use a " q-tip because my buddy that works @ GM brings it home in a jar.
I dont put any on the outside of the boot/gaskets because it will just gum up with crap.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I do. Make sure you wipe the excess because it attracts debris like glue. I checked my connections 2 weeks a go (since may 24 weekend) and there as sealed as the day I did it back in the spring.
I use a " q-tip because my buddy that works @ GM brings it home in a jar.
I dont put any on the outside of the boot/gaskets because it will just gum up with crap.
For clarification, you're saying you put a big glob of it in the connector and snap them together right? Or am I miss reading that? Thanks for the reply btw!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
stick a dab on the female side of the connector and it will act like... uhm, err, ahh, well lube :shocked1:for the male side of the connector and basically waterproof it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good idea !!

I do it to all my toys!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
And then I spray it with Fluid Film to help repel water.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
And then I spray it with Fluid Film to help repel water.
Thanks for rubbing it in clinebo, They wont ship to Canada and it's not on any shelves here.

And to the OP yea man just get it in there weather it be a blob, a dab or a squirt. Your putting to much thought in to it..

I put enough on the connector whatever end it really doesn't matter (me personally I put it in the female end) then snap them back together, when the excess squirt's out the edges wipe that off and move on to the next one, Don't forget your spark plug boot too..

cheers!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Like already stated, no need to go crazy with it. Just use enough to coat the inside of the connectors. I do mine once a year, but I ride a lot of deep water/mud.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you wanna see what dieelectric grease looks like after a couple years in the dry. Go outside to your NID, network interface box, for your telephone system. -- its a little 4x4 grey/tan or brown box. Take the one screw out, open the box, pull the phone wire out. That dieelectric grease, turns into globby rubbery glue when it sits without moisture for so long.

Best to check your connections every 3 or so years or dieelectric grease ruins.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Like already stated, no need to go crazy with it. Just use enough to coat the inside of the connectors. I do mine once a year, but I ride a lot of deep water/mud.
Did you try Canadian Tire?

Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion Prevention | Canadian Tire
Well I'll be dam, the rep from fluid film posted on a thread that was started a wile back and said they would not ship to Canada. (remember the hole e-mail them for a sample fiasco)

Something must have changed or they were BSing us Canadians because they did not want the cost of shipping free samples to the other huge market north of the boarder.

thanks wiggum!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was just going to say I have seen that stuff here already somewhere...... I didn't hear of the rep saying it wasn't in Canada because I would have corrected him and asked for my sample also!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I was just going to say I have seen that stuff here already somewhere...... I didn't hear of the rep saying it wasn't in Canada because I would have corrected him and asked for my sample also!
well I'm not lying about the post that had free sample's from there company. I asked for some and Dano told me they don't ship to Canada.
I took that as it was not avalable here but I guess it is.

here is the post!
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ssion/27087-free-fluid-film-phone-call-4.html

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info fellas! Gives me something to do throughout the week...can only put so many coats of wax on it lol. Hope this helps answer the ? for other people too.

And to the OP yea man just get it in there weather it be a blob, a dab or a squirt. Your putting to much thought in to it..

I put enough on the connector whatever end it really doesn't matter (me personally I put it in the female end) then snap them back together, when the excess squirt's out the edges wipe that off and move on to the next one, Don't forget your spark plug boot too..

cheers!
Yeah, I tend to over think stuff sometimes. Didn't want to put all the time in effort into it and then not do it correctly and have it not protect anything ya know? Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know for a fact that Fluid Film is sold in Canada. I have seen it quite a few places. I think Can Tire, TCS. I have seen it in more than a few repair shops.TIP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If dielectric grease ruins why shoul we put it on. Are there no other alternatives. And why would polaris not fit waterproof joints on a machine that gets wet constantly ????

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It eventually dries out like all greases. The factory connectors are pretty good and same used on cars. A little grease helps keep that little bit extra moisture out and prevents problems in the future. You certainly don't have to do it, but it cant hurt.

It is recommended by all car companies, Polaris and virtually for every situation where electrical connections are subject to the environment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ill have ago at it at weekend. I washed it off last weekend and power steering failer light came on until it dried out. Connectors are not easy to get at though ::-(

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
On my 850's the power steering relay is what you need to find. Mine was on drivers side over by gas filler cap and hose to tank. Little work to do it but I have never had an issue ever with mine and I do go through water. There are also connectors inside the wheel arch for the front diff and in my case ADC.

Do spark plug boots and any other connectors you can find. It is preventative but will never hurt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts